Thread: New to me Sawstop ICS - noisy arbor bearings- replacement help

New to me Sawstop ICS - noisy arbor bearings- replacement help

I just picked up a Sawstop Industrial Cabinet Saw from a friend. The saw was briefly underwater (fresh water) from a flood 3 years ago.

It has totally dried out and there is actually very little sign of the water. I applied power today, and the electronics work fine and the saw powers up and runs! Yay!

However, I'm pretty sure that the arbor bearings and probably the motor bearings will need replacing - there is a whine when it is running that I recognize as bad bearings. I've replaced motor bearings before and I have all the right tools (pullers, bearing separators, shop press, etc. I have also replaced arbor bearings on a Powermatic table saw before.

On the sawstop, how complicated is it to remove the arbor? My research says that the arbor assembly can be removed without removing the top, since Sawstop has a program for swapping these out. This saw is out of warrantly so I'm not counting on any assistance from Sawstop on this.

I'm sure I can figure this out, and I may just pull the top anyway, but I wanted to see if anybody knew about the arbor assy and bearings on these before I dive in.

Thanks-
    Lynn Kasdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Kasdorf View Post
    I just picked up a Sawstop Industrial Cabinet Saw from a friend. The saw was briefly underwater (fresh water) from a flood 3 years ago.

It has totally dried out and there is actually very little sign of the water. I applied power today, and the electronics work fine and the saw powers up and runs! Yay!

However, I'm pretty sure that the arbor bearings and probably the motor bearings will need replacing - there is a whine when it is running that I recognize as bad bearings. I've replaced motor bearings before and I have all the right tools (pullers, bearing separators, shop press, etc. I have also replaced arbor bearings on a Powermatic table saw before.

On the sawstop, how complicated is it to remove the arbor? My research says that the arbor assembly can be removed without removing the top, since Sawstop has a program for swapping these out. This saw is out of warrantly so I'm not counting on any assistance from Sawstop on this.

I'm sure I can figure this out, and I may just pull the top anyway, but I wanted to see if anybody knew about the arbor assy and bearings on these before I dive in.

Thanks-
    Lynn Kasdorf
    I can't help with what you're asking, but I wouldn't count out the fact SS might be willing to assist. They're knowledgeable and friendly on the phone, even if your saw is out of warranty.

I have changed the whole arbor assembly (not just the bearings) but I removed the top (way easier to work from the top).
    Changing just the bearings on the arbor seems difficult as both bearings must be pressed in from two ends into the shaft and there is a sensor on the shaft that
    must not be damaged during this process. I strongly suggest you to give them a call and see what they suggest. They are VERY helpful even if the saw is out of warranty (best customer service I have seen).
    Typically they send you a step by step (graphical) instruction on how to do it along with the part when you order.
    To narrow down which bearing needs replacing I suggest you remove both belts and rotate both shafts (the arbor as well as the idler).

and please keep us up to date on how it goes. Pictures are nice too

I would call and talk to them. I'm sure they will walk you through it. I'd say if similar to others, a bearing press will be needed to do it right. You could get the bearings and take it to a local machine shop and probably get it done for a reasonable price.

I will call them. As I said, I have a complete machine shop with a big press, and I've replaced many bearings, so I'm all set up to do the job. I buy bearings from Accurate Bearing in CA.

I have read several posts about Sawstop arbor bearings running hot. This sounds like the wrong bearing was spec'd. I'm sure SS will have some info on this.

The arbor bearings are 6205 and 6206 if I remember correctly ( increasingly unlikely ). I would expect the stress of a sudden stop due a misfire would harm them more than the rpms involved. Dave

Common motor bearing

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The arbor bearings are 6205 and 6206 if I remember correctly ( increasingly unlikely ). I would expect the stress of a sudden stop due a misfire would harm them more than the rpms involved. Dave
    Have to agree with Dave hear these are very inexpensive six dollar bearings that are the most common electric motor bearing in use today. The shock of the break most likely kills them prematurely

Call them they Have great Cust Svc
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

This particular saw has never experienced the blade brake- indeed IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED! The saw got flooded before he even got a chance to put a blade on it. So, damage to bearings is from water in this case. I plan to pull off the belt tonight and see if maybe it is just the motor bearing that is noisy.

If the arbor bearings were submerged they need to be changed. Seals will not keep out water or rust. My point was that if SS bearings run hot it is not that they are spec'd wrong, but some other issue. Those bearings handle rpms in excess of the 4500 or so they run so they should not run hot. Dave

Here is the entire arbor assembly (brand new one). As you can see the bearing is 6205 and a Japanese one.
    You can see a sensor at the bottom.

ar1.jpgar2.jpgar3.jpgar4.jpg

Mreza - thanks so much for the great pics and info!

I have not yet determined if the arbor bearings are in fact noisy. I am not yet convinced that the arbor was underwater- I know the motor was and it will certainly need bearings.

Regarding arbor bearings running hot- this is not something I have witnessed- I have seen several mentions of this from Google searches, so it makes me wonder if there was a batch of bad bearings that were installed at the factory or something like that.

[QUOTE=Lynn Kasdorf;2446568]Mreza - thanks so much for the great pics and info!

I have not yet determined if the arbor bearings are in fact noisy. I am not yet convinced that the arbor was underwater- I know the motor was and it will certainly need bearings.

Regarding arbor bearings running hot- this is not something I have witnessed- I have seen several mentions of this from Google searches, so it makes me wonder if there was a batch of bad bearings that were installed at the factory or something like

It could also be that some bearings have a clearance too tight for the application. Dave