Thread: Turned a large hollow form on the new lathe

Turned a large hollow form on the new lathe

Wanted to try out the new lathe so I chucked up this fairly dry 12" by 11" blank and turned down the outside of a hollow form. Love how smooth the lathe works and the amount of power it has! Still need to setup my hollowing rig for the new height so will hollow it out later and also need to get the TV for the camera hollowing system installed in the new location.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

2. That is a nice looking form, Sparky! That lathe performs better than most people believe unless they have actually turned on one themselves, don't you think?!

I really like the grain in that form....once it has a finish on it, it will pop and be even better..........nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

What kind of hollowing system do you use? That is a pretty piece of wood!

Nice start on that piece Sparky. Thats got some really nice grain and beautiful spalting.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Thanks All! I still need to work on the curve at the base a little. (now that I see it in the pictures.) This is one of the last two pieces I have left from the large maple I cut down in my backyard that had all the spalting, curl, and Ambrosia in them.
    This is the plainer of the two pieces as the other has a lot more spalting. I am turning two large hollow forms out of them and think I may already have them sold (if they come out OK. No pressure there. ).

Yes Roger this lathe preforms great! So far I am very happy with it. Very smooth and quite and loads of power! Even on a large dry blank I could not bog it down at the outer edge like I could with my DVR. Can't wait to throw a really large wet blank on it and see how it does! I am still planning to build a cabinet under it to store items in and have some weight chambers to fill with sand.

Michael I use the Jameson rig to hollow with. I have mine modified with a camera tied into a TV instead of a laser for seeing where I am at in the piece. I need to modify my secondary rest for the 22" swing as it is setup for a 16".
    Sparky Paessler

Very nice piece. I've been turning a little over the past two years and want to try a hollow form soon. I was wondering for a HF vase like this how is the prepared from the log? (i.e. would the log run parallel to the bed or perpendicular)

Thanks,

Mike

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Very nice piece. I've been turning a little over the past two years and want to try a hollow form soon. I was wondering for a HF vase like this how is the prepared from the log? (i.e. would the log run parallel to the bed or perpendicular)

Thanks,

Mike

yes, Mike.......grain runs parallel with the bed ways, but you can do them cross-grain, but you will have more movement and ovaling.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike

on my hollow forms I always turn them "perpendicular" just like a bowl.

I know some turn them endgrain but I have always done the just like I do bowls. For a tall hollow form you need a blank from a large tree to do it though.
    Sparky Paessler

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler View Post
    Mike

on my hollow forms I always turn them "perpendicular" just like a bowl.

I know some turn them endgrain but I have always done the just like I do bowls. For a tall hollow form you need a blank from a large tree to do it though.
    Thanks - that's what I was wondering. I see some tall HF's that look like the blanks were prepared like for a bowl and I keep thinking - must have been a large tree.

Mike

Great start Sparky. Looking forward to the progress. Any chance we can get a shot of your camera hollowing set up?

Doug I would be glad to. I need to get it setup on my new lathe and will take some pictures. The camera I am currently using is
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
    It works well because of the lens on it allows you to zoom in and out which allows you to adjust the size of the cutter on the screen to match the real size.
    I use a small plugin power supply (12VDC) to power it.
    Sparky Paessler

Wow, hard to go wrong at 17 bucks! I'm sure it will be fun to set up on the new lathe.

Worked on getting my hollowing rig and TV setup in the lathe area yesterday. About to get it all done except for the cabinet under the lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler