Thread: Oval drive screw head???

Oval drive screw head???

I have some cabinets hung in the 70's that have some sort of a drive I have never seen. I was able to get some of them out by using a flat head but that has quit working and I still have some tough ones to remove. It's basically an oval shape drive with two of the sides being flat. Can't find anything on the internet about them or wear to get a bit to get them out. Any ideas?

I think it might be a Type g clutch drive

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I have some cabinets hung in the 70's that have some sort of a drive I have never seen. I was able to get some of them out by using a flat head but that has quit working and I still have some tough ones to remove. It's basically an oval shape drive with two of the sides being flat. Can't find anything on the internet about them or wear to get a bit to get them out. Any ideas?
    I don't know what you mean by a drive. Are you speaking of a screwdriver? A picture of the screw would help.

Apparently, your talking about a what I call a "bit" that is inserted into a socket device that fits into a power screwdriver.

If the screws are slotted head screws, I have a large flat blade screwdriver that has a square shaft. I put a crescent wrench on the square shaft, insert the blade of the screw driver in the screw head, and then gently bump the end of the crescent wrench to loosen the screw. Don't be over aggressive or you will shear the head off. If that happens, you have to drill the screw out. If it is a butterfly shape and it shears, you may have to drill them out.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.

A lot of the larger bit sets come with a few different clutch bits, like this one look in lower right-hand corner):

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2841-El...driver+bit+set

I think it would be easier to find (locally) in a giant set, rather than separate. My local hardware store used to stock quite a few individual bits, too.

Google "clutch head driver" and you will find sources. Here's one:

clutch head driver

Blog Entries
    I think you will need to start the screw with a hand screw driver, gently "bumping" the screw to start it. Putting power on it and pressing the trigger, will certainly shear it.

A small rachet wrench with a screwdriver bit will allow this also. If it fails, it's drill it out time. It's easy enough to plug the holes with a wooden dowel.
    Don't ask me how I know.

Blog Entries
    If you are talking about a clutch head drive, most tool makers sell hand drivers and bits. They come in imperial sizes; 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, etc.

Clutch Head Screw and Driver.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-22-2015 at 9:15 PM. Reason: capitalization
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It ended up being a clutch bit. The funny thing is the screw head doesn't even look that much like the driver bit head. Harbor freight sells a kit of oddball drivers and the clutch bit happened to be in there.