Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0766 Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    A buddy just dropped off a load of wood from Oklahoma, all kinds, and one that looks like that is called "Blackjack Oak" and it's native to there. Dark center almost like walnut with oak looking bark.
    Google Blackjack oak and see what you think.
    Yeah, that might be it-- or at least it's a heck of a lot closer than anything I was guessing. Thanks for the tip!

I guess you could call this a "project" Built a weight box for the new lathe. My garage floor is anything but level back here soo. Re-purposed the shipping crate for this. Just a little more sand and put on the lid.

003.jpg
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Just to to keep things going. Walnut cap with oak nut. My granddaughters birthday is in August (4th) so I made an acorn gift box for her new jewelry. The oak came off the firewood pile. The walnut is leftover from another project. Took about an hour to turn and was a lot of fun.

4. That is a cool gift presentation, Jim. She will be thrilled! Suggestion: put a card with it that says "every squirrel has to open the acorn to enjoy the goodies inside!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I love that acorn. That gives me an idea for a gift for a friend.

The acorn gift box is an awesome little project. This is on my to do list soon. Thanks for posting.

Red
    RED

I thought I'd throw in a couple projects I've worked on myself. Nothing great, just playing around, getting used to it. The platter was just to get the feel for turning something large, 14 inches was the largest I could go on my previous lathe.platter 1.jpg

The bowl was the first time turning box Elder and it was punky all the way through but wanted to see the colors. Will be used in the shop for spare nuts and boltsbox elder 1.jpg

This is my favorite "project". My son, his fiance and 10 month old moved back home to Ky after 4 years. He now is going to start working with me in the shop. He decided he wanted to try his hand at a segmented bowl. Stu 1.jpg

I'll try and get some more pictures this week, but I mounted a 21.5", ~120-150 pound wet chunk of wood on the lathe this weekend. Long story short, I wasn't able to round it as well as I would have liked before mounting it, but the lathe handled it great. I was able to start off at around 100 RPM and as I turned it down I ended up at about 400 RPM-- although, to be fair, I do have about 450 pounds worth of bricks in the box on the legs. I ended up with a 17-18" diameter bowl, so we'll see how it dries-- hopefully it stays in one piece, otherwise it'll be some really beautiful firewood.
    IMG_20150808_154101.jpg

Here is a Birch burl bowl I just finished. It is 18" x 3" and has some brass powder in epoxy iimbedded in a couple of cracks. Loving the lathe! I've had it for 2 weeks and have filled two green recycle containers each week plus stuff in the dust collector!
    Birch burl platter.jpg

That is nice! I hope to start experimenting with metals and minerals soon. Too hot to do much right now. We are topping 100+ most days. No AC in the shop.