Thread: Santa's New Lathe

Santa's New Lathe

Hey all, just wanted you to know that tool lust never dies, even when you work with a tool company. I've been wanting a big lathe for years, but when I was running my cabinet shop there was never time to get into such a frivolous aspect of woodworker, like turning. I mean, I would do some spindle work for a leg here or there on grandpas old Delta, but it was all in a day's work. That old lathe didn't make the move here because I knew this was going to happen at some point. Last year I attended a turner's symposium and knew that it was something I had to get into, and I started a savings account for a Oneway or Vicmarc or the like. Well, last month I attended the AAW National Symposium in Kansas City, got to sit in on some classes, watching things spin and shavings fly for three days straight was just too much for me to take anymore. It just looked like too much fun. So much talent on display there, I felt like a little kid, keeping my mouth shut, watching and anxious to attempt, waiting for when no one is looking, of course, to try my hand at it.
    Well, a couple of months ago, I sold my cargo truck (it had served me well, but was no longer needed for what it was designed for) and the gentleman who bought it thanked me for taking such good care of it and already building in all the storage and cabinet moving extras. That put the lathe account way over the top...
    I placed an order this week, the lathe is being hand built by a man, Brent English, in Wisconsin and should be ready by December (I'll put it out of my mind for now). It is a brand new company, I think I'll have, something like, lathe #7. The company is called Robust, and if anyone wants to visit thier website and get the full story, go here:
    www.turnrobust.com

Until then.
    s

PS. In case any of you were worried about grandpa's lathe, the old Delta is in the shop of a 68 year old woman now and she is having a ball with it. Her's was the last kitchen I did in Miami and she was my helper for that project (I always offered clients sweat equity if they wanted to work in the shop on their own gigs). She turned out to be one of the best helpers I ever had. It's a good story, she got hooked, and I helped her outfit a complete shop before I left, plus she got alot of my scraps and the wood I couldn't take with me.

Sam, congratulations on your new Robust lathe. I saw those in KC and was duly impressed by their machine. #7, eh? I'm sure that each of their first lathes will be extra well made, as they try to establish themselves as a quality company. Check the other turning forums for reviews, as I've read some things that were recommended to Brent by the 'big hats' to make these new lathes even more 'Robust'.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sam,

That looks like a serious piece of iron!! Hope it works out for you.

I was really bummed to miss the AAW symposium again, but in some ways relieved. I was worried that I would either (i) try to buy everything in the instant gallery, or (ii) hang up my chisels in disgust over my own ineptitude compared to what was on display there. Can't wait for the Journal article to come out.

Best,

Jack

Way to go, Sam!! And big-iron, too. So...25" or 18" version??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations Sam and what a nice thing yoou did for that woman and other clients. That's a great idea.

Ernie

I'm very interested in the Robust lathes. I have spoken with Brent via e-mail and he is very responsive and helpful. I can't help but think that this is a very serious machine. Good luck with it and hope to hear how much you like it when it comes.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Congratulations Sam and what a nice thing yoou did for that woman and other clients. That's a great idea.

Ernie
    Ernie,
    Thanks for your nice response to my post. As a woodworker, I think I have more passion for the craft than the finished product. It is very intoxicating helping to fuel other people's enthusiasm. And even though the flaws wouldn't have been as apparent as if I had done the whole job from start to finish myself, or at least up to my overly critical eye (especially my own projects) -- the fact that folks had a hand in their own creation made their kitchen or dining room set or whatever, all that much more special to them.
    Gael, the woman I mentioned, was widowed only a couple of years before. She would show up at the shop first thing in the morning and often stay there with me into the evening, in the Miami heat and humidity, no less. She got bit by the same bug many of us have and really wanted to learn. I enjoyed every minute of her company, and still keep in touch with her. Good thing she was a little hard of hearing, though -- that way when I made a mistake she didn't necessarily catch every syllable that ushered from my mouth, through gritted teeth.

Sam, congratulations on the lathe! Good luck with it, and if you ever want to swap some time on machines and their use, let me know!

Bill

Good luck with the new lathe. Of course we want to see some of the wood that comes off of it.

Richard