Thread: question about paralign doweling jig

question about paralign doweling jig

I just got one of these, and am trying a couple test joints. When joining two long boards (3' long grain joint) I have drilled holes in one board using the extended stop, but now that I go to drill holes in the other board, my setup is backwards and I have to move the extended stop to the other side of the jig? Am I missing something? TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    I just got one of these, and am trying a couple test joints. When joining two long boards (3' long grain joint) I have drilled holes in one board using the extended stop, but now that I go to drill holes in the other board, my setup is backwards and I have to move the extended stop to the other side of the jig? Am I missing something? TIA!
    Yes, you have to move it, and the problem becomes that to do that you need to unscrew the two rods, which means the location of pin will be lost.
    The way I do it is to NOT screw those rods securely; i.e. I don't attach the rods to the jig, but fix the pin-holder on the two rods. Then put it in place where the new hole is drilled, then bring the jig and butt it against the rods and tighten the screws of the jig, drill, remove the jig, then remove the rods; repeat for the other.

Ah, yes, ala dowelmax method. I just did some more joints, and just eyeballed my spacing and used pencil lines to align the edge of the jig. How I've done it for years with the old jig.

I never screw the rods into the jig myself, I do just like Mreze, put them in the block and push the jig against them.
    This works just fine and I have never had a problem the the hole not being spot on.

Here is some other tips for that jig.
    http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/jessem_doweling_jig

143346014.LCmrlh6b.P5152844.jpg 143346015.Kgc8Z1rt.P5152845.jpg

Thanks bill. Lots of good ideas there