Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog breed rescue groups and microchips.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Uh, servants and staff are PAID.

I think the two of you are suffering from a bit of Stockholm syndrome.
    Yes, very happily

We get paid, just in affection, not money.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

b belong to a NJ German Shepherd Rescue group and I also worked as a vet tech for 8 years. Our rescue group also puts the microchip in and has the rescue as the primary contact and the owner can be added as a second contact. The reason for the rescue being named first is that if the "adoption" didn't work out, it is in the contract that the dog has to be returned to the rescue. Also, the rescue wants to be sure the dog does not keep getting "lost" from the owner and getting picked up by someone else. A rescue can spend a considerable amount of money on a dog before they are adopted and try very hard to ensure they are going to a good forever home.

In my years in the vet office, no one had ever asked about removing a chip, but I guess if you want to pay it can be done.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Brien View Post
    b belong to a NJ German Shepherd Rescue group and I also worked as a vet tech for 8 years. Our rescue group also puts the microchip in and has the rescue as the primary contact and the owner can be added as a second contact. The reason for the rescue being named first is that if the "adoption" didn't work out, it is in the contract that the dog has to be returned to the rescue. Also, the rescue wants to be sure the dog does not keep getting "lost" from the owner and getting picked up by someone else. A rescue can spend a considerable amount of money on a dog before they are adopted and try very hard to ensure they are going to a good forever home.

In my years in the vet office, no one had ever asked about removing a chip, but I guess if you want to pay it can be done.

John
    I would never consider adopting a dog where I would be listed as secondary contact on the chip.

I would be okay listed as the primary contact responsible for the dog, and the rescue group as #2.

Not the other way around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Brien View Post

John
    John hits the nail on the head; the rescue groups are primarily focused on finding a good "forever" home for the pet, and want to be in the loop if the adopters do not prove to be a good fit.

Shelters are full of unwanted animals; many of which were a "fad pet" of the year (typically trends follow movie dogs such as 101 Dalmatians, etc), and many of these fad pets do not make the best companion animals. Another problem that rescue groups face is that in parts of the country animal fighting still occurs, and the trainers associated with it are always looking for "bait" dogs. Additionally, some folks idea of a good home is to keep a dog on a chain in the yard. It's for these reasons that the rescue orgs want to reserve the right to check out your home, and on one level you can't blame them.

Do some of them go too far? Yes, a minority of rescue groups can be extreme. On the other hand most of the animal rescue groups are comprised of reasonable, caring people who truly want what's best for the animal. It's worth supporting them, and also saving a life by choosing a rescue instead of going through a breeder.

Attempting to remove a microchip from an animal is going to be painful for the animal since they have to be removed surgically. A better option (at least for the pet) would be to have it scanned, and notify the chip company of the revised ownership information.

Thanks for the replies.

I checked out the local SPCA and the Rescue Groups. The SPCA has the usual Pit Bulls and Pit mixes. From what I was told, they often come from the City from Drug and gang rings and fighting operations. As much as people say that they are a good dog, I just don't know how you break them of that fighting instinct, once they have been trained to do it. Would not want to have what I would consider, as a ticking TIME BOMB for a Dog!!

What I am looking for is a Hunting Dog, One of the Setters, a German Shorthaired Pointer possibly a Brittany Spaniel. Might even consider a Bluetick Coonhound as something different ! LOL As I have gotten older (As we all have !) , I am looking for a Dog 1 to 4 years old . Something out of the "Puppy Stage." Don't want to have to deal with that, at this stage of my life. I still like a big Dog. I checked the breeders and prices have skyrocketed in the 13 years since I last got a dog. What was $375, is now $1,200.00 for a Pup. and a 1 to 3 year old dog is going for $2,000 to $4,000. More than I want to spend on a Dog!

As for the Breed Rescue groups, Still checking into them. Some of their restrictions, seem completely unenforceable as far as I can see. One Group, says no dogs at all, to households that have children under 6 years of age. Well, what happens if the dog gets adopted out to that family , and 9 or 10 months later, the Wife gives birth to another Child ? Would that Rescue Group have the right to take that dog back because of the no kids under 6 years old in the home clause? That seems unfair and unreasonable.

And then I read another Rescue group's conditions where they said that even though the breed is bred for hunting , they refuse to adopt out the dogs to a home that hunts. REALLY??????

Clarence