Thread: How to achieve this look???

How to achieve this look???

Hey everyone, I've been running across requests lately for this ultra flat finish, as seen below. I'm not entirely sure of the proper method or product used to achieve this. I have done something similar in the past with the use of a white tint in the top coat, but there is still a considerable amount of sheen. I spray sherwin williams conversion varnishes(typically a 40 gloss) and would like to stay close to this, if at all possible, to avoid any extra setup. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Flat matte finish.jpg

Doesn't SW make that finish in flat? Seems like they would. If not, you can add flatters to what you are using now. This one should be compatible: http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Interlux-YMA715Q.htm?feed=Froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwxMetBRDJx6S z2p7DsQ0SJADJHAqNr8jgqyVivWmjN5Z-g1YeWsZg_nNJz8CYTU1ePr0djxoC5Abw_wcB

John

Doesn't SW make that finish in flat? Seems like they would. If not, you can add flatters to what you are using now.

I will look into this. Is a flat topcoat all that's going on here ? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by james klein View Post
    Doesn't SW make that finish in flat? Seems like they would. If not, you can add flatters to what you are using now.

I will look into this. Is a flat topcoat all that's going on here ? Thanks!
    Hard to say - it's pretty hard to see much of anything in that photo. My recommendation was based on your comment for an "ultra flat finish".

John

Flat brown paint.