Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gell stains drying too quickly

Jim,

I noticed in your original post that you used SealCoat for the first layer and then applied the dye. Based on my recent ventures with GF water based stain, I believe they recommend applying their conditioner first (to ensure uniform absorbtion, and prevent blotch effects). The SealCoat can be used as a secondary layer, on top of the stain/dye, to lock in the color and prevent lifting when applying a top coat.

Based on what I've learned (so far...I'm just a first-timer), the approach seems to be:
    1) pre-raise the grain with a conditioner or damp rag,
    2) sand down the raised grain (do not use steel wool with water based products),
    3) apply dye/stain (multiple coats for the desired effect),
    4) (optionally) apply SealCoat to lock in the color and prevent run during top coat application,
    5) apply the top coats, sanding lightly between successive coats,
    6) allow adequate time for curing before use

Hi mike. According to many on many forums, the most recommended approach was to seal the cherry with shellac, then use a gel stain, applying multiple coats until the desired color was achieved. Additional coats of gel stain weren't giving me any darkening, so I decided to switch to a toner. I'm getting positive results with the toner, but I'm using a pretty dilute mixture, and progress is slow. Three coats and I'm still not quite there.