Thread: Rockler Wall Mounted DC vs. HF Dust collector

Question Rockler Wall Mounted DC vs. HF Dust collector

I rely mostly on hand tools, except for dimensioning rough stock. For this, I use a G0634XP J/P combination machine and a Laguna 1420 bandsaw. For dust collection, I have the Rockler Dust Right Wall Mount unit, rated at 12amp, ¾ HP and 650cfm. I use it only with one hose that I move from machine to machine. I recently bought a Super Dust Deputy to complement the system. I am not worried about controlling the fine dust -I wear a respirator when I am using the machines and run an air cleaner afterwards- I simply want to keep things relatively neat without much fuss.

The Dust Right certainly doesn’t move a ton of air, but it works ok with the bandsaw. But with the J/P, I get a fair amount of chips falling into the planer table when using the jointer. When in planer mode, things are slightly better but not great. At the end of a short jointing/planning session, I still have a few cups worth of chips that were not sucked by the DC.

So, I wonder if a minor upgrade to the HF Dust collector (20amp, 2HP, 1200cfm) would make a noticeable difference. I know the cfm and HP ratings are probably very much inflated with most machines, so I am asking for real life experience by users: Would you venture that the HF should perform noticeable better than the Rockler? If so, a $150 investment would be worth it to me. I don’t want to spend more than that on an even more powerful machine, tough; if I can’t improve things with the HF unit, I can live with the nuisance of not ideal DC. I will still wear a mask to protect myself no matter what unit I use, anyway.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 07-24-2015 at 2:56 PM.

I am using the 2 HP Harbor Freight dust collector for my entire shop (one machine at a time). Tools include an 18" thickness planer, a 12" jointer, a 36" widebelt sander and assorted table saws, shapers, band saws and other odds and ends. The entire shop is plumbed with 4" S&D PVC pipe, and each machine has a blast gate. I initially ran the machine with a home built Thein separator and an aftermarket Grizzly cartridge filter to replace the bag. It worked fine, but I got tired of emptying the bag and the noise of it running inside the shop. I eventually discarded or sold all of the components except for the motor and fan. I mounted the fan/motor assembly on the outside wall of my shop with a 6" piece of pipe going through the wall and connecting to the collection piping. The discharge goes directly to the outside and blows the sawdust and chips in a pile outside my shop. I realize this might not work for everyone, but I am in a rural area on acreage so it's not an issue. I have been using this setup for about four years without any problems. The motor draws very close to 20 amps, so it is doing a lot of work and generally speaking it keeps up with all of my equipment, although it's not perfect for the thickness planer when taking heavy or wide cuts; I do get some leakage out the back but it's very manageable. The only complaint I have is that it's 110 volt only; I would like to run it on 220 but it apparently can't be rewired.

The system works so well (considering the cost) that when I build my new shop I plan to use the same basic setup only I'll use a Grizzly motor/blower that has a higher rating and can be wired for 220.

Thanks, Dave. That's very helpful !

Dave and I are both shop teachers and very much alike it seems, even down to our 12/14's. Once when my whole shop dust collector went out a bought the harbor freight one for temporary use and it performed fine. I liked it so much i got a used one for myself and have it in my stash intending to do exactly as Dave has done. I just haven't got around to it yet. I also have a rockler type one mounted to the back of a rolling tool cabinet that I use for various machines. I wont give it up but it is a one machine tool.

I'm more of a hobbyist woodworker compared to most members on this forum. So, having learned much from fellow woodworkers, on SMC & other WW forums, and with their recommendations, I decided to get the HF DC (5 micron) with the Dust Right 4" Dia. x 21' long flex hose. I connect the hose to whatever machine I am using: Grizzly 14" BS, Ridgid TS, Delta MS, Ridgid Jointer, DeWalt Planer. I have found the HF DC to be be very adequate to draw the sawdust from these equipment. I've had it for 2 years now & have not had a problem. Finding heavy duty plastic replacement collection bags locally is problem, so I decided to invert the original HF bag into a large 55 Gal. plastic (1.5 mil.) drum liner (by Makers Mark & sold at HD). This works well & with no cloud of dust if done slowly when emptying. I have not replaced the upper filtration bag, but I do vacuum it occasionlly. I have thought about getting a Wynn cartridge filter (http://wynnenv.com/products-page/woo...ilter-pricing/), (http://cdn.wynnenv.com/wp-content/up...NO3.jpg?604f2b) to replace the original HF filtration bag. I also have an air filtration system (Rikon 62-400) suited to the size of my smal shop (~ 400 sq. ft.) to filter out the smaller dust particles (5 micron/1 micron).
    Hope this helps with your decision & good luck.

thanks for the inputs, guys. Seems that the HF would be a reasonable upgrade give my goals/expectations!

Don't forget to use a 20% off coupon. Often they take it even on sale prices.