Thread: Is this OSB Sanded?

Cool Is this OSB Sanded?

Hey guys,

I am trying to look for a supplier that carries these thin 5/32" sheets and was told to sand down some OSB sheets down ? Hard to image this happening. Has anyone seen these sheets out there or know what their called ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, I don't know of a supplier for OSB that thin. But I can't help but asking... What in the world are you going to do with OSB that thin?

I am going to be laser cutting some check pads for a client. I don't think they make OSB that thin to begin with and sanding that stuff won't be fun. Maybe it's some kind of veneer...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Sorry, I don't know of a supplier for OSB that thin. But I can't help but asking... What in the world are you going to do with OSB that thin?

For a limited number of check pads, you could resaw thick OSB. A bandsaw would my machine of choice, but you could do it with a table saw. Then maybe you sand it just enough to clean it up. That'd be less painful than sanding 1/4" ply down to 5/32".

I will be interested to see what the outcome looks like.I don't think OSB has that much color variation,but then again,I have never added a finish to it either.I am assuming you will have to coat it with clear epoxy to keep it from crumbling apart,considering how thin it will be.

The wide color range in your pic has been bothering me. The usual OSB is more uniform than that. But there is aromatic cedar OSB which has that wide range of color. Look at http://cedarsafe.com/products/panels/. The panels are called "quarter inch". They might be really quarter inch. But they might be more like the quarter inch plywood I buy these days, which is actually 3/16". That's getting down really close to your 5/32" spec. Perhaps this cedar material, with a little sanding, turns into what you want.

Thanks for the advice. I found some veneers that might work. Sanding OSB just doesn't fly with me and my lungs.

Google reconstituted veneer.