Thread: Rikon 25-130H Portable Planer Opinions?

Rikon 25-130H Portable Planer Opinions?

Hello,

I am really needing a planer. The question is, should I get this new Rikon 13" portable job or save up or a floor model (thinking Grizzly G0453 15")? I can't imagine I will need more width then 13", the Grizzly has an extra horse but, do i really need it? Anyone have a bench top model like the Rikon and can offer some insight on their usefulness compared to a floor model? Including shipping, the Rikon would save me about $650 or so, that's enough for an 8-inch jointer (almost)!

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jordan

If I were going to get a lunchbox, it would be either the Makita (for it's superb finish quality & easy knife changes) or the Dewalt (for it's two speeds and because you can upgrade it to a shelix head.) The Dewalt / Shelix combo is a great machine, if you only need it for light use.

Only you can say if you need 15". I surely do not. (but I also use hand planes a lot.)

Up until this year I had the Makita lunchbox, and absolutely loved it. However, I have a huge pile (like 5,000 + BF) of 12' lumber to skip-plane, and after several long threads here, and much thinking, I decided to get a stationary planer instead.

I found a Powermatic 100 locally, which is "only" 12", but one of the best small planers ever made. All in, if I add a Shelix head, it will have cost me around $1,900, but I think I made the right choice. Those lunchbox planers are great, but they can't really pull a 12', 10", 12/4 piece of White Oak. You have to push & pull like Jack LaLane. I'm sure I would have burned the thing up.

- But I would not have wanted a modern 15" like a Grizzly, either. Those don't give the same finish as the Powermatic or a General 130, or... Now maybe you don't NEED a great finish, but it's certainly nice to have. Again, only you know how you like to work & what you consider important, but these are the kinds of things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    If I were going to get a lunchbox, it would be either the Makita (for it's superb finish quality & easy knife changes) or the Dewalt (for it's two speeds and because you can upgrade it to a shelix head.) The Dewalt / Shelix combo is a great machine, if you only need it for light use.

Only you can say if you need 15". I surely do not. (but I also use hand planes a lot.)

Up until this year I had the Makita lunchbox, and absolutely loved it. However, I have a huge pile (like 5,000 + BF) of 12' lumber to skip-plane, and after several long threads here, and much thinking, I decided to get a stationary planer instead.

I found a Powermatic 100 locally, which is "only" 12", but one of the best small planers ever made. All in, if I add a Shelix head, it will have cost me around $1,900, but I think I made the right choice. Those lunchbox planers are great, but they can't really pull a 12', 10", 12/4 piece of White Oak. You have to push & pull like Jack LaLane. I'm sure I would have burned the thing up.

- But I would not have wanted a modern 15" like a Grizzly, either. Those don't give the same finish as the Powermatic or a General 130, or... Now maybe you don't NEED a great finish, but it's certainly nice to have. Again, only you know how you like to work & what you consider important, but these are the kinds of things to consider.
    Thanks for the tip. I am just hesitant to get a bench top planer at all because I am thinking I will have to update one day but, it seems like a great deal of people use them with great success. Realistically I don't think I'll be doing huge amounts of planning that would necessitate a beast of a floor model.

Are bench top planers worth the money or better to save for a large floor model?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I went from a 12" Delta lunchbox to a PM15. The lunchbox gave me a smoother cut but I had to take lighter cuts when planning 10"+ widths. The PM couldn't care less. My main motivation for the upgrade was noise, the Delta was obnoxiously loud.
    If I were going to spend the money they want for the Rikon, I would look seriously at the DeWalt 735X. The DeWalt is a proven success and very popular. Note also that the Rikon uses HS steel inserts in its cutting head, not carbide. That alone would worry me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney