View Poll Results: Do you use high angle frogs?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 41.67%
  • No

35 58.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use high angle frogs?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have 5 bevel down with frogs from 55 to 67 degrees and ranging from big (17" panel) to small A4 down to tiny (2.5" chariot). As a hobbyist with no time pressure on me, I like working with freaky woods and I find these planes do the job for me. Just never got into bevel up planes for some reason.

My LN #4 has the 50 degree frog. I like it quite a bit... still easy enough to push but avoids tear-out in weird grain. 55 seems like it would be too high for all but the gnarliest of woods.

Blog Entries
    I have bevel up Veritas planes with all sorts of grinds on numerous irons. I also have all three frogs on my number 4 LN which is my favorite for tough grain. I use figured and weird-grained woods almost exclusively.

I have a 45 degree and a York Pitch for my LN 5 1/2 Jack and #7 Jointer. I use the HAF with Curly Maple, Mahogany and some exotics. Final smoothing on these woods is with a 45 degree #4 with an extremely sharp iron and a 112 Scraper when necessary.

I voted No. But I do have a 49degree Ulmia smoother. I just use it the same as my Stanleys and wooden planes with the capiron set close to the edge when neccessary. I never grab it because it has a higher angle. I think my infill also has a somewhat higher angle but I almost never use it. Should sell it probably, but I have put too much effort in its restoration and can't decide yet.

Hi Kees

I would not call a 49 degree bed "high angle".

Perhaps it depends on the wood you are used to working. Here in Oz we consider 55 degrees an up, typically 60 degrees, to be high angle.

A well-known Australian made handplane is the HNT Gordon range. The non-adjuster planes, such as the smoother and trying plane (which I have), at 60 degrees. Superb performers. The wooden soles move slickly. The smallest high angle plane I have is a Brese Small with a custom 60 degree bed (the highest they come in is 55 degrees). The blade for the latter is only 1-1/2" wide. High beds on BD planes are generally harder to push. By contrast, high cutting angles on BU planes are much easier.

I cannot say that I can feel much difference in similar 45 degree and 50 degree BD planes, however the jump to 55 degrees is noticeable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's semantics of course. But when 45 is standard then 49 is highish. I agree that the difference is minimal. Even on European wood the tearout reduction is very limited and the increase in pushing resistance is also minimal. With the lignum vitae sole the Ulmia is a fine plane.