Thread: Exterior Door UV protection

Arizona now....New mexico maybe in a year or two

Cool Exterior Door UV protection

Hi all, I am about to start refinishing an exterior front door. It gets quite a bit of late afternoon sun (Arizona). What is best stain/UV protection to apply?

thanks
    Len

Yer gonna get pounded no matter what you do.

Having said that - Epifanes is pretty much top-rated AFAIK. It is a marine varnish. 7 coats, sanding between each. Light clean-up sanding and a coat or two to refresh as needed. I have used it with great success in Atlanta, but that is not nearly the same as direct-sun-Arizona.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

General Finishes Exterior 450 Stains Finish gets good reviews, both here and other forums. https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-exterior-finishes

John

Paint is the best.

Nothing < Clear < Semi-transparent stain < Solid-color stain < Paint
    Less protection/longevity----------------More protection/longevity
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Arizona now....New mexico maybe in a year or two
    After consideration, the Epithanes looks like a great product and I may get some for another project to try out, I think Andrew is right and Paint will be best and easiest. Considering I probably wont be staying in this house for any considerable length of time, will send wifey off to SW to pick a color. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Coleman View Post
    After consideration, the Epithanes looks like a great product and I may get some for another project to try out, I think Andrew is right and Paint will be best and easiest. Considering I probably wont be staying in this house for any considerable length of time, will send wifey off to SW to pick a color. Thanks all for the suggestions.
    That's the ticket. Read the OP as a search for some type of varnish-thing. But paint is your best defense.........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.