Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat Tool for Hand Cut Dovetails

Neat Tool for Hand Cut Dovetails

I teach a hand cut dovetails class and try to stress to the students the important things to do and check when making hand cut dovetails.

I teach doing tails first. After they have cut the tails and cleaned out the waste, I show them how to check the area before transferring the tails to the pin board. For one check, I use a double square.

Dovetails01.jpg

It can be used to check the area where the waste was removed to make sure that it does not have a "belly" that will push the pin board away from the tail board when they are put together.

Dovetails02.jpg

A problem most beginners have is sawing straight across the board. So sometimes a tail is wider on one side of the board than on the other side of the board. You can try to check for this with a double square but you can only check the end of the tail.

Dovetails03.jpg

If the tails are not square cut, when you transfer the tails to the pin board, and cut the pins, you'll wind up with too tight a fit, or too loose a fit.

What I found recently is a replacement "blade" for a double square from Sterling Tool Works. Here's the blade in a double square.

Dovetails04.jpg

The small probe can be used to check along the sides of the tails, even with very small pins.

Dovetails05.jpg

I used it in class this past weekend and it helped the students get better fitting dovetails.

I have no affiliation with Sterling except that I bought one of their blades.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That thing is cool, I knew there was something like that out there,That would save me from paring away the wrong tails.Thanks Mike for the heads up.

That's a great idea, Mike.

Making those cuts at 90 degrees is one reason I prefer to do DT's with a Japanese saw. I find something about them easier to keep properly oriented.

That's very cool. I recently saw Rob C. using a square to check the tails, but not as well as you could with that little guy. Thanks for sharing. I need all the help i can get no doubt.

The Sterling square looks good, and at a good price. Chris Vesper has been selling a precision version of this for some years now. His looks more like a Starrett double square, which is similar (and I think now unavailable).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike,
    I read about the Sterling Dovetailing Blade but wondered if the blade was truly practical so your thread and review is quite helpful-thanks!

Let me just point out to anyone who might be interested in this: If you have a double square, all you need to purchase is the blade. You can remove the stock blade and insert this blade. And if you don't have a double square, and want one (or more) at a reasonable price, check out the Igaging or PEC double squares. They are both priced pretty good and both are good for this application (I have both brands).

Mike

[Here's a place selling PEC 4" double square blems for a decent price.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-27-2015 at 1:11 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike - from the link you gave. Is this correct? You almost sound like it will work.....hope so, would like one, but kinda sux to have to buy a new 4" dbl square........

NOTE: 4″ Starret Squares will not accept the Dovetail Blade.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Mike - from the link you gave. Is this correct? You almost sound like it will work.....hope so, would like one, but kinda sux to have to buy a new 4" dbl square........

NOTE: 4″ Starret Squares will not accept the Dovetail Blade.

I'm just guessing here, but Starrett has a 4" combination square (not double square) that uses a thinner blade than a standard 12" Starrett combination square. I think that's the head he's pointing to. If you have a Starrett 4" double square, check the thickness of the blade. If it's the same as the 12" combo square blade, I'm pretty sure it will work.

Or send the guy a message and ask him about the head you have (Starrett, that is. I doubt if he can help you with the one on your shoulders). I found him to be pretty responsive when I sent him questions.

I had one of those small Starrett combo squares at one time, didn't like it and sold it.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-27-2015 at 1:52 AM. Reason: q

I have one of those little squares that Chris Vesper gave me. But,the blighter graduates everything in METRIC!! Still a useful square though.

Trying to get him to do INCHES for the American market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ....If you have a Starrett 4" double square, check the thickness of the blade. If it's the same as the 12" combo square blade, I'm pretty sure it will work...
    Out of luck - 1/32" difference in thickness.

....ask him about the head you have (Starrett, that is. I doubt if he can help you with the one on your shoulders).
    Many have tried. All have failed.

....I had one of those small Starrett combo squares at one time, didn't like it and sold it.
    Heretic.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have one of those little squares that Chris Vesper gave me. But,the blighter graduates everything in METRIC!! Still a useful square though.

Trying to get him to do INCHES for the American market.
    His website says inches version coming soon..............

Blog Entries
    Awesome, I'm sure to buy one as soon as the inches version arrives. Vesper's stuff is great, the angle gauge has truly spoiled me after using those of the wingnut variety previously.

There are some tools from Matsui Measure I'd love have made in inches.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have seen that somewhere and forgot.
    Thanks for the reminder and info.

Brian I like the instrument you've got in your hands.
    Gonna check on that.

edit: so far I've determined its a "column gauge". Looks like a hunt.

Save me some time. Where did you acquire yours?
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 07-27-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Robert,

That's a photo I found online, something I'd like to find in inches. Matsui Measure is the company that manufacturers it.

http://www.matsui-seimitsu.co.jp/column_gauge.html
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.