Thread: Band saw - Grizzly G0513X2 vs Laguna 14|twelve?

Band saw - Grizzly G0513X2 vs Laguna 14|twelve?

I've been poking around bandsaws, and I'm curious on opinions between these two saws. They're both just over the 1k mark, but not by much. The grizzly seems like a great deal for the size/power, but everyone seems to rave about how nice a saw the Laguna is, which I take to mean Laguna's frame, adjusters and guides are particularly well designed. Anyone played with both of these?

Ross, welcome to the forum. There are several fairly recent threads on SMC discussing the relative merits of these two saws. You can pull them up using the SMC search box. Both get good marks here. I personally have not used the Laguna 14/12. I'm very pleased with my G0513X2. The additional capacity of the 17" throat, and the slightly greater hp is important to me, as my other BS is a Delta 14" with 1 hp for smaller work.

Urk, you're absolutely right. I'd seen some other bandsaw comparison threads, and I forgot to properly search for this one. Thank you!

Hi Ross,

Hello and welcome! I'll echo what Mr Roseman has already said--both saws have been well reviewed based on the comments and exchanges you'll find on this board. I don't think you can go wrong with either, depending on what you're needs are. I recently purchased the G0513X2BF as my first bandsaw and am plenty happy, even though I'd considered the Laguna 14 and Rikon 10-325 as well. My final decision was based more on what I could potentially be doing (resawing) than what I expected to be doing initially or in the near future.

Ross,
    I have the big brother of that Grizzly, a G3619. It is a beast and very easy to use. I have several Grizzly tools and have nothing negative to say about any of them.
    I have been told, but never experienced, if you have an issue needing electrical parts it can take time to receive them. I personally have not had any part issues.
    Regards, John

I have the Laguna after owning two cast iron frame saws from Busy Bee. No comparison. It is a delight to use. accurate and smooth, with a great guide system (ceramics). My only real complaint is that it could use a brake. It rolls for a very long time after power is cut.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. The importance of throat depth will vary with what you use the saw for. I have a 17" and wish I had gone larger.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought the Laguna 14/twelve several months ago and have used it a lot since then. I can't think of a single thing to complain about. I am especially happy with the guides, which are very easy to adjust. I never owned the Grizzly but I worked with its 19 inch big brother, the G0514XF. It belongs to a good friend. When he received it, it vibrated really badly. I finally tracked the problem down to a defective tire. Grizzly sent a replacement under warranty but we had to install it. The saw runs really well now but the guides take about 5 times as long as the Laguna to set after a blade change. The same is true of my old Rikon manufactured 14 inch band saw. I don't ever want to deal with ball bearing blade guides again if I can avoid it.

I have the Grizzly, which became much better than before when I added a Lenox Diemaster2 Bimetal blade.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

10. I bought the Laguna and am very happy with the build quality. It is a bit more difficult to get Grizzly here in Alberta Canada and the locally available Busy Bee saws were not anywhere near the quality of the Rikon or the Laguna offerings.

That being said, the Grizzly you are considering will take a 1" resaw blade which is something the Laguna will not and that is an option I would like.

Another happy G0513X2 owner here.