Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son the Festoolian.

My son the Festoolian.

I think I have managed to bridge the generation gap and 'eaze' the E-vs-F 'battle' at the same time. My son has the festool system and he likes it very much. He challenged me to see if I could make the new EZ repeater work with the festool saw and guide, and if you don't mind me saying, "Eureka it works!" Now all (guide rail sustems) users can join together and promote the safest ways to dimension wood. How does it work? the prototype is working well. We should have it in production soon.
    This post is not a promotion, it is a breakthrough!
    What's next?
    One of this days Chris will take the Challenge.

Dino was nice enough to send me a demo of his EZ Smart GCSS a few weeks ago. Thanks Dino!!

Just yesterday I finally put it together....ran the screws down too tight and dimpled the channel a bit (shoulda read the instructions first). Then tried to adapt the base to my left blade PC. Realized right away it wasn't gonna happen due to the lack of a ridge on the leading edge, so I decided to forego the base, plastic strips and anti chip inserts. I used it as a guide and ran the saw on the work right up against the edge. I love the clamps on the bottom, they work great!!

Since most of the time, we cut doors using a straight edge, this will come in handy, but for plywood, we'll be using the 'new' old Sears contractor saw I refurbed for the jobsite. I put Ridgid's 2424 rails on it and moved them into 3612 position giving me 36" cut to the right of the blade. Pics will follow soon. Sorry buddy, but nothing can replace my TS's.

I had been concerned about the rails joining together and being able to remain bone straight, but those fears were unfounded. Dino has a nice product and for those who have right blade circ saws, I highly recommend taking a look at his system. It's well thought out.

Since I'll never own a right blade saw, if anyone wants the base, strips and inserts, I'll send them to ya, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Dino was nice enough to send me a demo of his EZ Smart GCSS a few weeks ago. Thanks Dino!!

Just yesterday I finally put it together....ran the screws down too tight and dimpled the channel a bit (shoulda read the instructions first). Then tried to adapt the base to my left blade PC. Realized right away it wasn't gonna happen due to the lack of a ridge on the leading edge, so I decided to forego the base, plastic strips and anti chip inserts. I used it as a guide and ran the saw on the work right up against the edge. I love the clamps on the bottom, they work great!!

Since most of the time, we cut doors using a straight edge, this will come in handy, but for plywood, we'll be using the 'new' old Sears contractor saw I refurbed for the jobsite. I put Ridgid's 2424 rails on it and moved them into 3612 position giving me 36" cut to the right of the blade. Pics will follow soon. Sorry buddy, but nothing can replace my TS's.

I had been concerned about the rails joining together and being able to remain bone straight, but those fears were unfounded. Dino has a nice product and for those who have right blade circ saws, I highly recommend taking a look at his system. It's well thought out.

Since I'll never own a right blade saw, if anyone wants the base, strips and inserts, I'll send them to ya, just let me know.
    Thanks Kelly.
    You can use the smart base on your left bladed circular saw. Just turn the base around. You can't use the antichip inserts but you still have antichip protection on the 'keeper side' from the white edge on the guide.
    About your table saw.
    Last week in Ohio we offer the challenge to the Pros at Breaktime Forum.(fine homebuilding) I use the ez smart with the repeater.
    $10.000.00 and my Fiat/Ferrari.
    After I straight line rip one crooked board and straight line rip the waste of the board (4 feet long from Zero at both ends to 1/4" at the center) and continue making edges (1/32" from the rest of the good board )facing the other way (blindfold?),One guy come up with a good idea.
    -Man. I can make some money from You. And I don't even have to take the challenge.
    -How you can do this without taking the challenge?
    -EZ. Now I can ebay few tools. and the tablesaw goes first.
    And another guy (my son) come up with even better idea.
    -You use my saw on your guide. Why not make one Repeater for my guide?
    I know where he's heading. At the $10.000.00 and my Fiat.
    Imagine that. I lose the challenge to a Festoolian with my repeater.

Kelly .Where do you think this thing is going?
    With 3 consecutive (dimensional) cross cuts on 30" plywood under 20 sec. and with 40 cross cuts on 1"x4" pine under 20 sec. There is no time or space to be wasted with the good old tablesaw.
    Look for a video later today or tomorrow.
    Thanks Kelly.
    YCF Dino
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 08-20-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Some people have all the luck.

Just yesterday I finally put it together....ran the screws down too tight and dimpled the channel a bit (shoulda read the instructions first).
    I hear you on that one Kelly. I did it too, and believe me, I used a few words that the TOS won't let me use here.

Dino,
    I'm thinking of getting the router guide also, but I'm wondering how the side adjustment is made? Is movement controled by an Incra type lead screw or is it a simpler design?

Dino,

If I were to attach the base permanently, I could use it, but there are too many functions where I can't lose that extra 1/4" of blade depth in my work. We are dropping cabinetwork permanently since Lamar has left and will be concentrating on decks and pergolas from here on out. This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. In deck building there is not much need for this type tool. I will be using it mainly for door work and some straightline ripping on the job. I never run the CS at and angle when I can do the same thing on the TS in a much faster fashion. I do agree your method might be safer, but I have yet to draw blood on the TS after 30+ years.

I will never let go of my tablesaws, there are too many functions I depend on them for that you cannot beat me at with your tools. Try ripping 210 1"x6"x6' fence boards for a custom deck skirt. I can run one through my TS in about 5 seconds. If Thomas hands them to me, I can do all 210 in about 20 minutes. I'm not into foreign cars, but I think I might be able to get that $10k if you think you can beat me at that...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Blaine
    Some people have all the luck.

Kelly is one of the few remanding "straight shooters". Left bladed straight shooter. This is a challenge. So far so good.

I hear you on that one Kelly. I did it too, and believe me, I used a few words that the TOS won't let me use here.

This is what you get for not trusting the ez. But isn't a problem.Just a reminder to read the directions with the rest.

Dino,
    I'm thinking of getting the router guide also, but I'm wondering how the side adjustment is made? Is movement controled by an Incra type lead screw or is it a simpler design?
    UHMW adjustable for zero play and smooth movements on the guide rail and the sliding arm. Very simple.

http://www.eurekazone.com/instructio...erinstall.html

the challenge is on,

Dino,

If I were to attach the base permanently, I could use it, but there are too many functions where I can't lose that extra 1/4" of blade depth in my work. We are dropping cabinetwork permanently since Lamar has left and will be concentrating on decks and pergolas from here on out. This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. In deck building there is not much need for this type tool. I will be using it mainly for door work and some straightline ripping on the job. I never run the CS at and angle when I can do the same thing on the TS in a much faster fashion. I do agree your method might be safer, but I have yet to draw blood on the TS after 30+ years.

I will never let go of my tablesaws, there are too many functions I depend on them for that you cannot beat me at with your tools. Try ripping 210 1"x6"x6' fence boards for a custom deck skirt. I can run one through my TS in about 5 seconds. If Thomas hands them to me, I can do all 210 in about 20 minutes. I'm not into foreign cars, but I think I might be able to get that $10k if you think you can beat me at that...
    Ok Kelly. The challenge is accepted.
    1. 10 rip cuts on solid lumber. 1''x6" x 6'
    2. 10 cross cuts on plywood. 4x8 cut 10 times to 9 -1/2" x48"
    3. make edgings from the same piece of wood. from 1"x4" to make 32 edges
    4. 5 tapered cuts on solid lumber 1"x4" x8'
    5. 5 tapered cuts on Plywood. (any size- Dimensional)
    You can modified the list and we can videotape the Challenge.

Forget about my Fiat. I just send it in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    One of this days Chris will take the Challenge.
    One of these days Chris will finish his cursed garage!!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think the Festool is a better bargain you can keep the Fiat.

Back in the 70's I knew a guy that was a mechanic that worked at my Uncle's auto repair shop that thought his Datsun pickup would do anything my Dad's Chevy could. So one day we showed up with a Datsun 1200 coupe in the back of the Chevy that we hauled 130 miles & He didn't have to much to say. Then another time he was getting froggy again & we him step outside to see the flat bed trailer with 9200 lbs of John Deere Dozer on top behind the Chevy. Of course the trailer was heavier than his little truck. Another time he was at it again & my Dad said come on out in the street & lets hook your Datsun Pickup to the back of my Chevy & see who drags who down the street & my Uncle said I'll supply the chain & that shut him up we never heard how great & powerful his 1970 Datsun pickup was ever again. I later had a 1971 Datsun Pickup It was a great little truck & did everything I asked of it. But I was reasonable in what I asked of it.

I believe that a table-saw is not everything to every job & I also believe the same about Festool. Festool or a Table-saw will both do good jobs within their limitations & the operators limitations.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

hello bart,

so you're saying your festool is a great little truck. i'm glad you like it.

just for the record, i am biased. i do support dino in his endeavor to change the way we think about cutting wood. with that said, his idea to challenge all comers, even the european slidiing table saws, is a genuine one.

to some it sounds like blowing smoke, yet to those who have taken a serious look, it's about making the sawdust fly. the challenge is not meant for one to choose sides and debate in words. words might cut each other, but they won't rip a board.

someday someone else in this forum may have an idea that leads to an invention. that is when you will truly understand the dynamics at work. as a friend of dino's, i thank you for the input and encouragement you have given to this fiat driving inventor.

the challenges are meant for friendly competition to promote better and safer ways to enjoy your hobby and/or occupation.

that's enough said for now.

thanks,
    russ

The super Datsun

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    . Another time he was at it again & my Dad said come on out in the street & lets hook your Datsun Pickup to the back of my Chevy & see who drags who down the street & my Uncle said I'll supply the chain & that shut him up we never heard how great & powerful his 1970 Datsun pickup was ever again.

I'm the guy with the Datsun or the Chevy?
    The way I see it: You can modified the Datsun to outperform the Chevy.
    You must believe that it can be done.
    You need to work hard and spend time and money.
    And last but not least. You need to challenge your own mind first in order to challenge other mind's and ways later.

3 years just for the guide rail design. Only when we're 99.9% sure that nobody can win the challenge we start the production.

I later had a 1971 Datsun Pickup It was a great little truck & did everything I asked of it. But I was reasonable in what I asked of it.

You knew the limitations and the capabilities of your great little truck.
    And we knew the limitations of the challengers and the capabilities of the EZ.

I believe that a table-saw is not everything to every job & I also believe the same about Festool. Festool or a Table-saw will both do good jobs within their limitations & the operators limitations.

The challenge was to turn the table saw up side down and the same time to keep all the benefits while bringing in a new generation of guide system.
    And here EZ it

[http://eurekazone.com/images/dino/20...epeater002.JPG
    http://eurekazone.com/images/dino/20...epeater003.JPG
    http://eurekazone.com/images/dino/20...epeater005.JPG
    http://eurekazone.com/images/dino/20...epeater007.JPG

I promise a video to Kelly but this pictures are the best we can do for now. In few days we can see the Repeater on video and better pictures.
    What we have now is the super Datsun with:
    1. Integrated measuring system.
    2. Repeatability on both sides of the guide rail and both sides of the blade.
    3 Smart clamping system that don't need clamping every time. with narrow clamping capacity down to 1/4".
    4. Guide control unit that can be easily adapted to fa sliding fence/square etc
    The second step into the "Dead wood Concept"
    Keep in mind this is a production prototype and a similar version works nice on the Festool guide rail.
    Thanks Bart.
    I'm stuck with the Fiat.
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 08-21-2005 at 7:26 PM.

Looking good Dino. You need to send me one so I can keep up with your new items.
    Steve

Sorry I didn't have any intention to stir up a bee hive. I tried to strike a balance between the 2 heavy weight contenders the Festool & the Table-saw. Boy that Festool must weigh a ton. I am sure it will do everything you say it will do.

Sorry its not that I don't believe in Festool I have had the pleasure of at least holding in my hands the Drill , Sander , router & circular saw they are very well made. I don't do any production work & already have tools that are able to do what I need.

If I were starting all over purchasing tools today I would defiantly purchase Festool products.

Yes they had to wipe off the Festools I drooled all over before they put them back on the shelf.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by russ bransford
    hello bart,

his idea to challenge all comers, even the european slidiing table saws, is a genuine one.

the challenges are meant for friendly competition to promote better and safer ways to enjoy your hobby and/or occupation.

russ
    Hello Russ.
    The price for the European sliding saw is double.
    After all ...is double thw tool.

Edit here. If you're cutting plywood 'some times' you need to walk around the tool each time to pick up the cut off piece. Or to reach abd bring the piece back on the table.
    Then you need to bring back the sliding table in order to do the same routine.
    Cut. Walk around or reach to get the cut-off piece. Bring back the table with the same or new plywood. Load and unload and walk around the table.
    If you have a helper to pick up the cut off pieces, then is much easier.

The EZ Smart way is to pick-up all the pieces (once)when you're done. You can do 50% of all your cutting from the same spot. And for the rest of your cutting you only walk few feet instead of few hundreed feet.
    YCF Dino
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 08-21-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Dino,

Any closer on the video or the release of the repeater?
    Les