Thread: utility chuck from Penn State

utility chuck from Penn State

Hi everybody. I just bought one of those chucks that Penn State had on sale and have found that it doesn't fit on my lathe. It comes with two adaptors but neither one fits. Anybody else have any trouble with this? I was hoping to use it tomorrow and the tech support at Penn is closed til Monday. Is there an adaptor I could get at Home Depot or such? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm confused by the picture. I'm thinking what you bought is the 4 jaw chuck. But that's not what's on the picture. If it's what I think it is, you won't find any adapter at Home Depot. I have a Penn State chuck and when I got my Powermatic it didn't have threads that would work so I bought an adapter from Bestwoods. It cost almost as much as the chuck, but I just use it for the flat jaws for reverse turning.
    Earl

utility chuck

The picture is of what I have on now. I thought maybe somebody would recognize it and give me an easy answer.

I think what you have i a HF If so it might be a 3/4 x 10 thread can't tell real well with the picture.
    Bob

Looks like you have a screw on spur drive. Does it screw off the spindle? If so you may have to remove your spur drive to expose your threads on the spindle.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

If I remember correctly, the PSI chuck comes with 1" x 8 tpi and a 3/4" x 16 tpi adapters. Do you know what the thread is on your spindle??

I've seen spindle adapters in several catalogs.....and some are quite expensive. Take a look at the Grizzly web site. You may find what you need there.
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 08-20-2005 at 1:44 PM.

Find out what the inside thread of the 4-Jaw chock is and what your spindle is (the lathe that I had like that one had a 3/4-10 thread) and maybe a local machinist would be interested in making one for you. But, once you have your thread sizes - you could check with Grizzly and other catalogs to see id there is an adapter available.

I picked up the chuck you mentioned and since I have lathes with either 1" x 8 or 3/4" x 16 threads, I had no problem mounting it. It ran true out of the box, for those others that have heard of the problems of the past.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt