Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Cabinets

What a Class-A shop!

Whats up with these drawers? It looks like there is a dust partition on them?

David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm with Tom. I don't have room for tool / machine bases that don't provide storage. My oscillating edge sander is still in my gun sights but mostly:

Attachment 318802Attachment 318803Attachment 318804Attachment 318805Attachment 318806Attachment 318807Attachment 318808

I build drawers into everything.
    Glenn,

Thanks for posting your photos. If we can give the average guy some ideas on building their own shop storage we have done a good thing! Most of the photos we see posted show a serious lack of storage space, so stuff is laying everywhere.

One more point is; by keeping your tools right at your fingertips you can get a lot more out of the time your spend in the shop. How many more stories do we have to read about guys spending all their shop time looking for tools instead of working on projects?
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-03-2015 at 3:39 PM.

Did you build you own observatory also?

Yes. We moved to NM to get away from FL's light pollution. It was a fun project. The scope is a 42" computerized Newtonian. Built it too. I got into woodworking in '84 by building wooden telescopes.

Note the observatory desk on the left… Looks like all the other shop cabinets.

Here the scope is being prepared for a nights observing.

Any astronomers out there? Heres a link.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (111.6 KB, 115 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (112.2 KB, 139 views)
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-03-2015 at 7:03 PM.

The link is broken?

Sorry. Fixed.

Hello Tom,

I purchased your book a while back, and though I haven't built all the cabinets/drawers I need (yet), I am making progress in the war against shop clutter! First set of drawers (to fit under my workbench) is done, second cabinet with drawers for under my drill press is underway.

The big thing that kicked my tail on the first project was the drawer slides. Seemed like everything that could go wrong, did. By the time I was done with that first box of drawers, I was sorely tempted to pitch it in the burn pile and start over. Figured I'd keep it as a reminder for a while I learned a number of things (the hard way), and am looking forward to improving my approach on the next project.

Woodworker and astronomer.....impressive...hat off to you sir, that is a lot of work!

I read Tom Clark's book. Then I made these cabinets, first ones I ever built - over 50 drawers. Thanks, Tom.

So Tom, do you still have copies of your book for sale?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    So Tom, do you still have copies of your book for sale?
    www.tomclarkbooks.com

What kind of joints are in the cabinets and drawers? They look nice, just wondering how complicated they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Thanks for the link

Tom, why are you not a contributing member of SMC?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Book Ordered
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I ordered the book also.