16 16.33%
  • No, for sure not

81 82.65%
  • I can't swim

1 1.02%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Pool or No pool?

Greg and Chris,

Other than the salt water cell itself the "equipment" as manufactured by the reputable companies is made from the plastics PPO, PC, ASA, PVC, and PP. The rubber gaskets and seals are nitrile or TPV. All of these are quite comfortable with salt water solutions. There are also a limited number of metal components, but they are made from type 316 stainless steel which does well in salt water situations.

I would appreciate knowing about your experience indicating that salt water is hard on pool equipment.

I only read about it, Rich, and don't quite recall where I found it but do some searching on TFP and you should find some thoughts there.

Plenty of people do use SWG so they probably aren't all bad. There are pros and cons to all systems.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-10-2015 at 7:33 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Greg,

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you had experienced an equipment issue with a salt system. My experience other than the salt cell itself has been very positive.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...cons-of-a-SWCG

Rich, try this link. It has a pro/con list and links to other stuff.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-13-2015 at 12:45 AM.

OK with out reading all the threads my answer would be a big NO.... had pools growing up had an above ground for my kids when they finished with it gave it away... Before I started my current business I worked for 2 of the largest pool builders in the USA Swan Pool and Anthony and Sylvan for over 10 years combined had the ability to get a free pool and all any time I wanted it. The extra cost it involves the time to maintain it and the RTI never happens most of the time it DE-values property. If I want to go swimming I'll go to a neighbors house or join a gym with a pool much cheaper. Oh Yeah FYI your home owners insurance will go up also. M2Cents
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Willhoit View Post

There are some great online resources like Trouble Free Pool that can help you with the selection of pool type and maintenance. The folks there advocate a pool that is as chemical free as possible and can elaborate in great detail the chlorination options (salt water chlorine generators, chlorine tablets, and bleach from the discount store). TroubleFreePool has a great section called Pool School to help you get started. In any case, it takes work (or money) if you want really nice water.

If I were forced to put in a pool today, it would be a salt water gunite pool with a plaster finish. FWIW, I think salt water is easier than bleach or chlorine tablets, but it has drawbacks too. Although porous gunite/plaster requires more work, I like the look better. If I didn't care about the look, I would build a pond with a sand beach and let the fish take care of the water.
    FYI a saltwater system in a pool that is not maintained correctly can destroy your plaster in as little as 3 months so if you do go that way get a pool guy that is certified with salt systems they are a different animal.
    " TroubleFreePool " is an oxy-moron
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Here's a good story about the horrors of owning a pool.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29697757/...e#.Vb_imPlVgSU

Heavy rains + empty pool = big trouble...
    We had a pool popped about 12" on the deep end of the pool one time in Garden Grove Calif. home owner called all freaked out. Easy fix $10,000.00 later we cut off the part of the bond beam that popped out of the ground re plumbed the pool and fixed the light pumped shot-crete in the voided areas after wards and good as new just 12" shallower in the deep-end.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

My family lived in Southern California in the late 1970s for three years when I was just starting school. We did not have a pool, but the neighbor did. Us kids were always at the neighbor's pool when it was warm enough to use the pool. Notice it was the neighbor's pool so my parents didn't have to maintain it. I am pretty sure my parent would have never installed a pool. My dad got transferred back to Minnesota after three years and you would be crazy to have a pool in Minnesota although people do.

Good point about home insurance, I did not think about it .
    Chris, thank you for all info about chlorination/salt water. I would take all this info for making a decision.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    FYI a saltwater system in a pool that is not maintained correctly can destroy your plaster in as little as 3 months so if you do go that way get a pool guy that is certified with salt systems they are a different animal.
    " TroubleFreePool " is an oxy-moron
    If you read my comment (If I were forced to put in a pool...), you would understand that I am not a fan of ANY pool.

With all the opinions expressed in this thread, you choose my comments as the basis for your negative assertions about saltwater chlorination?? If you take the time to read TFP and other sites, you'll find plenty of technical reading supporting this method and how to maintain it.

There are plenty of ways to screw up a pool, and a "pool guy that is certified" is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Good point about home insurance, I did not think about it .
    Chris, thank you for all info about chlorination/salt water. I would take all this info for making a decision.

Ed.
    I dunno about the home insurance angle. I'm not sure my insurance company knows or cares if I have a pool. Heck, I even have a diving board!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I dunno about the home insurance angle. I'm not sure my insurance company knows or cares if I have a pool. Heck, I even have a diving board!
    Chris not sure where you live but here in So. Cal big cost everyone sues everyone. Here is a blurb from US Insurance Agents https://usinsuranceagents.com/answer...ners-insurance again FYI. Plus Chris as you stated they might not know you have a pool so if someone did have a major accident your insurance might not cover it if it is pool related. It is our responsibility to make sure we have the proper insurance coverage not the insurance companies. Good luck
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

We had an above ground pool for about 10 years. Kids were 7 or 8 when I put it in and when they left home I kept it for another year but found I wasn't using it enough to warrant the work so sold it for $100 and planted grass. I think above ground would be the way to go. Cheaper to install, get just as much use out of it and then when you find you are not using it any more the only expense in getting rid of it is grass seed.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Exactly Not quite to the get rid of point, but it will be no big deal when I do and it does not cost nearly the figures that I've read on this thread...for 3.5 months of use

David

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    We had an above ground pool for about 10 years. Kids were 7 or 8 when I put it in and when they left home I kept it for another year but found I wasn't using it enough to warrant the work so sold it for $100 and planted grass. I think above ground would be the way to go. Cheaper to install, get just as much use out of it and then when you find you are not using it any more the only expense in getting rid of it is grass seed.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I have a small pond in my backyard - about 12 by 8. We put it on about 8-9 years ago. I am ready to fill it in with dirt - so tired to take care of it. Question arise - should we put a pool on this place?
    You are tired of taking care of a pond, but think it is less work to take care of something that has to be kept clean?

There is something wrong with this picture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)