Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sitting Bench

New Sitting Bench

Hey guys. As promised, here is another quick set of pictures from one of my recent projects. I am teaching a few courses at American Sycamore and have designed specific projects for those classes. This one is a sitting bench that allows me to teach some power carving techniques. Its a simple design, so I used a wood that really stands out (zebrawood). Thanks for looking.

Wow!!!!!!!!!
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Did you consider some front-to-rear scoop?

Very nice design Marc! I can see that shape as very appropriate for a number of items other than the bench as well. You are an inspirational teacher, that's for sure.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very Nice Marc. I like the overall shape and lines to it, and you did an excellent job integrating the edge grain with the face grain.
    I've seen a similar A&C design, but the seat sweep terminated at the ends of the seat.
    What is the finish that you applied ?
    Nice work, and nice selection of material.

Marc! I love it! Could you build one from pine? (Inside joke)

Larry

Thanks for the kind replies.
    You know, I did consider a front to back scoop (it was in my original plan). The sides have it, but not the top. The reason I decided against is was because the thickness (or lack thereof) of the top. Any thinner, and I would have been nervous about its weight capacity. And rough 8/4 was the thickest solid material I could fine.

And the pine one is on its way Larry. I'll mail it to you when Im done.

The "wow" factor on this piece is very high, both from the sculpted look and from the material chosen. Very nice...both functional and "art" at the same time!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Marc,

I love the bench, the wood is just incredible. I love the elegant arc in the legs...I can also see here a matching cut out at the base of the leg like the one in the top.

What are the dimensions? I bet you made tons of sawdust, Great job.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quite stunning Mark. Your grain matching between the leg joint and the seat is perfect. What finish did you use – it looks much nicer than I have ever achieved with zebrawood.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Marc,
    I love the design...very original and draws from tradition a Asian influences , yet it is original! Wonderful work too! I know how difficult zebra is to work..

In one of the recent Maloof articles they asked him about design....he said ,"you can enjoying being a fine woodworker and improve your skills by coping others work...but, how much more satisfaction to know you designed it.."...This piece really demonstrates his point ...it is original, beautiful with wonderful lines, and practicle.....This is what I call "Inclusive Design" ...addressing not only esthetics....but all of the factors including constuction..

Great Job!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

A very striking, original piece! With what did you do the "power carving?"

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

In answer to some questions:

Finish started with a spit coat of amber shellac. Then a coat of GF Seal-a-Cell following by a few coats of Arm-R-Seal.

The carving was done with a number of tools. The power stuff can be seen in a number of WoodWorks episodes. I used an Arbortech blade in an angle grinder, a die grinder with a few different large bits, a right angle polisher with rough sanding pads, files and rasps, and numerous sanding tools.

Its really a whole lot of fun when the chips are flying. Almost makes me feel like a turner.

Beautiful bench, Marc. Sweet design and I echo the other comments regarding the nice lines and grain matching. It looks like it'd be a fun mess to make, with a nice prize at the end of the woodchips.

Ya know, if you keep at it you might get pretty good at the woodworking thing, don'tcha know? [hands clapping] <clapping hands="">

Thanks for sharing -

- Vaughn</clapping>

Nice work, Marc. And, nice design. Whenever I have worked Zebrawood, I have smelled that which I didn't want to smell. I am wondering whether you had a problem with all of the chips flying. I think if I did this, I would be spending half the carving time in the bathroom.

When you teach this piece, are you teaching it in Zebrawood? If so, that should be interesting, and I hope there is a good breeze.

As you may have guessed, Zebrano is not my favorite!
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop