Thread: Roll top desk

Roll top desk

My wife recently\ acquired a roll top desk.

The roll top is hung up -- the slats do not fit into the groove on one side.

Try as I can, I can not slide the roll top over to engage the problem side.

The back and bottoms are enclosed so the adjustment has to be made from the exterior.

Before I try wedging it over, I'm inquiring whether anyone has any ideas about how to get it back in the track.

Thanks,

Jerry Bittne

Just so we're clear, are you saying that the tambour ("roll-top") door has pulled out of the track on one side and is now wedged in position and won't move? Or is the whole thing out of the track, and you're trying to fit it back into place from the front?

Can you put a spreader of some kind inside to force the sides apart (SLIGHTLY) to create a little wiggle-room?

Are you sure you can't take the back off to access the track?

There is usually a large opening in the track inside of the back cover.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

One side is out of the track/channel. I can move it up and down to a limited degree but it does not roll easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Just so we're clear, are you saying that the tambour ("roll-top") door has pulled out of the track on one side and is now wedged in position and won't move? Or is the whole thing out of the track, and you're trying to fit it back into place from the front?

Can you put a spreader of some kind inside to force the sides apart (SLIGHTLY) to create a little wiggle-room?

Are you sure you can't take the back off to access the track?