Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection at the Lathe

I made it, it's very simple. Just pipe, round bar, flat bar and 2 pieces of angle iron.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Here's mine, 6" PVC pipe drops down the wall in behind the lathe then pivots off a 90 degree elbow and swings in place next to the turning. This also works when turning outboard on my lathe. It will also swing back flush up against the wall so that it can be completely out of the way. I have various hood adapters that can be fitted into the pipe depending on what I am turning at the time. I also have a hood I can put in place when turning wet wood that works as a spray deflector to help keep the spray off the back wall as well as most of the ceiling. I should also mention that I am using a 3hp Grizzly cyclone so my setup is able to catch pretty much 100% of all the fine dust generated while sanding at the lathe, just don't let go of your sand paper as it will vanish up the pipe, don't even bother looking for it on the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Spitters; 08-11-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Mike, that looks like an excellent option. It looks like the articulated arm is mounted on a piece of wood which is mounted on the lathe. Does the wood move on the lathe or the metal plate holding the dust collection?

Dave Fritz

Dave the whole thing is made of metal, there is a piece of angle iron on each end. One is mounted the the drilled and tapped holes that Oneway has standard on the main tube of their lathes, the other is bolted to the scoop. Each section can be easily remove if you need the scoop to sit lower. Here is a drawing of the basic components. They could easily be made of wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

John,
    That's a great, simple setup. You've obtained some REALLY nice pieces of wood, too!

Fine dust collection for a lathe is kind of a myth. I would suggest that you also use some kind of breath protection. I would love to see a set up that collects all the fine dust that is harmful to our lungs. Not trying to burst any bubbles just trying to be helpful.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, I don't know if you have seen my sanding hood You Tube clip or not. My next upgrade will be a hood that stays in place, and I use partitions depending on what I am sanding and/or turning. Good for chip containment, and the hood does a MUCH better job of getting all of the dust before it escapes into the shop.

robo hippy
    And a fine contraption it is! This is on my future projects list once I get a few long-standing orders out the door.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A