Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection at the Lathe

Dust Collection at the Lathe

I've been using a big gulp on a stand in back of my lathe for dust collection when I sand. I've gotten tired of working around it and moving it when working as it gets in the way.

I've seen pictures of people that have their dust collection hose positioned behind the lathe and below the ways. I'm wondering how to attach it so it could be moved up and down the lathe as needed? I have a Robust Liberty so the ways are stainless steel but the frame is metal.

Anyone have some ideas or have examples of how that could be done?

Thanks,

Dave Fritz

I have a Oenway that has predrilled and tapped holes on the back side of the ways. This allowed me to mount my hose with small scoop to a " hollowing snake" type of arrangement that can easily be moved along the bed.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Fyi

Steve, what?

Dave, not real clear about what you mean as far as getting in the way, but here's my set up. I have it attached to a oak dowel with simple zip ties so I can slide it up or down the lathe. So far this is working for me. If your stand itself is getting in the way, maybe you could rig this dowel or other sliding piece to hang from the ceiling depending on your situation. By showing you what I have done without a stand, perhaps you can elaborate on this to better suit your needs. Good luck!
    dust-collector.jpg

Steve, thanks for the picture. The dowel fits well on your Jet. I was thinking of having the dust hose below the ways. In a situation like that it may be a problem to have a hollow form on with a steady rest. That's what I mean by in the way. Not to mention the stand on the floor catching shavings etc. I don't like to have to stop and move things around. Lazy I guess.
    Dave Fritz

Ok gotcha. I have to remove the dowel and let the collector hang off a wire when I have the Carter steady rest on. I guess we can't have everything and need a few work arounds with all these contraptions. I actually need to rig some kind of work around the Carter Multi Rest now. Perhaps I can weld up a stand that will hold the dowel farther back to clear the rest. Something that will get in the way...LOL

Just thinking out loud, I'm wondering how well a homemade articulate arm would work either attached to the wall or on the backside of the lathe? HMMM I'm going to think on that awhile. Seems to work pretty well with my lights I use.

Here's what I use. Three scraps of wood, a few minutes with a router and a couple of leftover carriage bolts/knobs. Used a HF magnet on the base. Works good enough that I haven't needed to look at options so far. Excuse the mess - roughing day.
    IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0137.JPGIMG_0149.JPG

Thanks gentlemen, that's what I was looking at. Going to have to get creative.

Dave Fritz

Well, I don't know if you have seen my sanding hood You Tube clip or not. My next upgrade will be a hood that stays in place, and I use partitions depending on what I am sanding and/or turning. Good for chip containment, and the hood does a MUCH better job of getting all of the dust before it escapes into the shop.

robo hippy

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Sorry,I'm just learning how to post pics. Here are the two simple but very functional dust removal systems I have on my lathe. Just takes scraps and time.

here are are a couple pics of my setup
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Thanks Steve, that looks like a good option.

Dave

That's an interesting articulated arm Mike. Did you repurpose that or make it?

Doug