Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wynn canister installation

Wynn canister installation

Greetings,

I'm retrofitting my 2 Hp two bagger. I've purchased an Oneida Super Dust Deputy metal cyclone and plan on purchasing the Wynn flangeless filter, 9B300NANO from Stockroom Supply.

They may be able to supply the flanged version (find out tomorrow) but I'm wondering if the interior of the filter is robust enough to screw on a wood disc for the inlet pipe ?

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Don: I use those same filter in a flanged (one end) design which I get from Wynn directly. I just measured the metal thickness at 0.038 - 0.039 ... around 20 gauge. It is pretty robust. I built plywood end caps and used threaded rod to compress the ends against the filter. Direct screwing might work. I also used the same filter for an ambient air filter and simply stack the in-line fan on top of the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don,

This may give you some ideas: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...able-SDD-build

I bought a 9L300NANO directly from Wynn. It's open on both ends and the fines cleanout bucket is a Gamma food storage bucket with the center cut out of the lid. The Gamma lid was then screwed directly to the metal bottom of the filter.

The flanged type was easier for me to mount. I just used two long bolts through a piece of ply with a wing-nut on each. They press the seal at the flanged end against the ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Don: I use those same filter in a flanged (one end) design which I get from Wynn directly. I just measured the metal thickness at 0.038 - 0.039 ... around 20 gauge. It is pretty robust. I built plywood end caps and used threaded rod to compress the ends against the filter. Direct screwing might work. I also used the same filter for an ambient air filter and simply stack the in-line fan on top of the filter.
    Thank you Bill, that should be fine for sheet metal screws

Quote Originally Posted by James Gunning View Post
    Don,

This may give you some ideas: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...able-SDD-build

I bought a 9L300NANO directly from Wynn. It's open on both ends and the fines cleanout bucket is a Gamma food storage bucket with the center cut out of the lid. The Gamma lid was then screwed directly to the metal bottom of the filter.

The flanged type was easier for me to mount. I just used two long bolts through a piece of ply with a wing-nut on each. They press the seal at the flanged end against the ply.
    Thank you James,

Did you try it with just one filter ?

I have been running mine up till now with a regular flapper clean canister filter on top and a bag on the bottom.

Surely the addition of a cyclone with one 300 sq. ft. Wynn filter will be a major improvement ?

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Don,

Not sure what you mean about just one filter. I only have one filter on my DC, new or old. When I built the portable DC system, the addition of the cyclone and Wynn filter was a major improvement over what I was using. (smaller upper canister filter and clear bag below). The cyclone improved the separation dramatically and the big Wynn filter allowed more airflow. I suspect you will see a major improvement in airflow if you rebuild yours similarly.

If you are using 4" pipe (or hose) I would strongly urge you to up the size to 6" (or 5" minimum, since that's the size of the metal SDD inlet). Your system will flow so much more air, it will surprise you.

My bad, the cross brace in your picture is what threw me

Looks a lot longer than 34"...

I do plan on using 5".

Thanks James,

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

I think those Nano are rated for 600 cfm per cartridge. Good news is they have a very tight pleat so chips don't get caught as much inside, bad news is when they do you need to clean with air. Better filtration than spun bond but you can't run a brush to clean. A Thien baffle or similar to keep stuff out of the cartridges is beneficial. Have you verified with cartridge experts that they are the best choice in your application? I'm not doubting, just asking. Certain fabrics and media are better on certain machines and you need someone who sells them all to tell you what to buy. All filters have a rated airflow and you don't want to exceed it either. Dave

I clean mine every 3 months or so when the pressure starts to rise and must say the operation is one of my least favorite. Dust and any chips clean out fairly easily with very light blowing pressure (I use an electric leaf blower instead of the compressed air) which is important because you could easily blow out a pleat rendering the filter useless. Still the cleaning operation inclusive takes quite some time (hours?). If I could figure out a simple air-tight bayonet mount for the filter it would improve that process dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think those Nano are rated for 600 cfm per cartridge. Good news is they have a very tight pleat so chips don't get caught as much inside, bad news is when they do you need to clean with air. Better filtration than spun bond but you can't run a brush to clean. A Thien baffle or similar to keep stuff out of the cartridges is beneficial. Have you verified with cartridge experts that they are the best choice in your application? I'm not doubting, just asking. Certain fabrics and media are better on certain machines and you need someone who sells them all to tell you what to buy. All filters have a rated airflow and you don't want to exceed it either. Dave
    Thanks David,

I can't find the reference just now but I believe the L series canister is rated some what higher. Two filters, stacked, are rated for 1800 CFM.

Are you suggesting I add a thien baffle to my cyclone retrofit ?

I get the impression that the Wynn filters are an industry standard, I'll go with that

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I clean mine every 3 months or so when the pressure starts to rise and must say the operation is one of my least favorite. Dust and any chips clean out fairly easily with very light blowing pressure (I use an electric leaf blower instead of the compressed air) which is important because you could easily blow out a pleat rendering the filter useless. Still the cleaning operation inclusive takes quite some time (hours?). If I could figure out a simple air-tight bayonet mount for the filter it would improve that process dramatically.
    Thanks Bill,

That seems excessive. The whole idea behind using a cyclone is so very little dust reaches the filters, let alone chips ?

Anywho, I'm pretty diligent about regular cleaning

I was going to install a plastic bag/clamp on the bottom of the filter to monitor the dust but I am so tired of bags and clamps. Instead, I'm thinking of making some sort of air tight box with a container inside that can simply be removed and dumped.

Once I'm up and running I will be checking that regularly until I get a feel for how much gets past the cyclone !

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Don,

There are probably other places to get filters, but none as helpful as Wynn to get you the right filter for your application. I spoke directly to Dick Wynn when I called and he gave me a number of suggestions and ideas, as well as steering me to the right filter for what I needed. He was the one that suggested using the Gamma food bucket as a fines cleanout under the filter. This, in spite of the fact that Wynn also sells a premade "filter pan" that can serve that purpose. Cleaning the filter is really easy if you mount it vertically and make some kind of "catch pan" to collect the dust as it's blown out of the pleats. Like Bill, I usually use my leaf blower, but have also used a compressed air line. However, it never takes hours to do it. Maybe 15-20 minutes if I'm really thorough. I just blow, let the dust settle, and then unscrew my Gamma bucket and dump it. Put the Gamma bucket back on and I'm ready to go again. The only caveat is make sure you don't let the chip bin overflow. If you do that, you will likely pull some chips through the cyclone and blower and into the filter. Getting those chips out of the pleats could be difficult and ultimately damage the filter. Put a window in your bin someplace and check it often, especially when planing. I've read posts here where folks have said they had an overflowing bin and the cyclone and filter packed full of chips. I just shake my head and go look in my chip bin to make sure I'm not heading in that direction.

Folks:

My error in design of the system. My filters are in the corner of the shop - which puts them nicely out of the way. Unfortunately, it also means that I have to remove the cartridges to blow them out. The issue is in removing and reinstalling them. The cleaning probably takes just twenty minutes (ten minutes each) but the removal and reinstall of the filters can take quite a bit of time. I daresay that were I to walk into the shop at 8am and decide I needed to clean the filters, it would be 9am at least (probably later) before I could move on to the next task. I have tried cleaning in place and it just isn't effective.

Thanks James,

The filter I purchased is made by Wynn for the Clear Vue cyclone system (and retrofits Oneida, etc.).

I still remember Very Clearly when I overfilled my bag on my existing system and learnt my lesson the hard way

BTW >

The filter I purchased..

• Model: 9B300NANO
    • 300 square feet of Merv 15 Nanofiber filter media
    • Efficiency: 99.999% at .5 micron
    • 34" x 12.75" (300 sq. ft.)

I will have to manufacture an inlet and clean out.

The Oneida retrofit..

• 95 ft² High Efficiency Axtar Spunbound Media Filter, 99.9% @ 0.2 - 2 microns
    • 7" Diameter Inlet
    • Filter Height: 39"
    • Filter Outer Diameter: 13"
    • Quick Release Dust Pan
    • Patented Internal Silencer
    • Pre-drilled Holes for Hanger Straps

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Don,

Sounds like essentially the same filter body I have, with a different mounting arrangement. 9L300NANO vs. 9B300NANO. Let us see some pics when you have yours built.

Here is the final set up.

A double bead of caulking and eight #10 x 1" metal screws with 1/2" Baltic birch ply worked like a charm to attach the inlet and clean out box to the filter.

Right now, the cleanout box is roughly 13" x 13" x 6" with a removable box inside.

I'll need to run it for a while to get a feel for how much gets past the cyclone.

BTW > I decided to run my 5" main straight out of the cyclone and not run 2 x 90's to get tight to the 10' ceiling, clearance is 6' 4", I'm 5' 5"

Cyclone install done.jpg

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Here is the final set up.

A double bead of caulking and eight #10 x 1" metal screws with 1/2" Baltic birch ply worked like a charm to attach the inlet and clean out box to the filter.

Right now, the cleanout box is roughly 13" x 13" x 6" with a removable box inside.

I'll need to run it for a while to get a feel for how much gets past the cyclone.

BTW > I decided to run my 5" main straight out of the cyclone and not run 2 x 90's to get tight to the 10' ceiling, clearance is 6' 4", I'm 5' 5"

Cyclone install done.jpg

Cheers, Don
    I think going with the straight-shot makes sense. Heck, anyone over 6' 2" is constantly watching for obstacles anyhow.