Thread: Supermax 19-38 Question

Supermax 19-38 Question

So I recently purchased the SM 19-38 drum sander (technically the combo unit). So far it works as advertised. However, I find that it is really difficult to get the pre-cut abrasive strips correctly installed without a huge hassle. The outboard end goes in straightforward. Where I get hung up is on the inboard (motor) side. For some reason it is really hard to get the end of the abrasive to slip into the clamp. There is not a lot of room to maneuver your hand in this area, and it's really frustrating.

Is there a trick to this, or do others also swear at SM every time they change abrasive strips?

You start on the inboard.... Finish on the outboard...

I also had the same issue, but then realized that I had to push the lever all the way in. It starts relatively easily in the first part. You still can't get in the paper at that point. The jaw opens by further pushing the lever in.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan View Post
    You start on the inboard.... Finish on the outboard...
    Really? The manual says start on outboard, and the SM online video shows the same. If you are serious, please direct me to the instructions that say this.

Blog Entries
    I start on the outboard side and don't know for the life of me why these two mechanisms are not reversed. The inside does indeed need to be fully compressed to put the grabber in position to receive the paper. The paper must go straight in. That is; the natural curve of the paper works against you. I fold the tip of the paper along it's length to keep it straight. Once you do this once or twice, it is a breeze thereafter. I can change the paper so easily I never hesitate to change grits as I am working through a project. If the tricky spring-loaded mechanism was on the outside, there would be ZERO learning curve. Bear in mind that compared to other drum sanders, this method is wonderful ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The machine was designed to have the paper loaded starting with the outboard clip. The inboard clip is spring loaded to take up slack as the paper stretches. Use Susumu's approach.

I put mine on "bACKWARDS" too..just easier for me as I have a mangled hand..don't see any reason why one can't, just because the manufacturer says to do it the other way...gotta think outside the box...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks for the input. I was just wanting to confirm I'm not alone on this. Hopefully it will get easier with practice. Other than this issue, so far I really like the machine.