Thread: Riving knife on Powermatic TS

Riving knife on Powermatic TS

Originally these saws came with a spitter which is definitely better than nothing but, has anybody thought about making it so you could have an actual riving knife? I was looking at my PM 70 and it seems like it could be done, but was wondering if anybody else had done it before. The main reason I'm trying to do this is I'm planning on putting two table saws side by side, ripping saw on the left and cross cut on the right, so it'd be nice to have a riving knife on my ripping saw so it doesn't get in the way of my crosscut.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

There was a lot of discussion about the **** few years ago. It sounds like what you're looking for:http://www.the****store.com

EDIT--The company's name was automatically edited out and became a line of stars (*****)on my post. It must be something obscene. A quick google search shows Robert **** and the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. Probably need to get out more often....
    Last edited by david brum; 08-11-2015 at 5:45 PM.

David, the link is not functioning, and I'm not sure what to google lol

the b o r k store.com is where that should be pointing. Not sure why on earth that would get censored. Note that there were some issues with those at some point in time, where they got loose and got launched by the saw blades. There was some hullabaloo about it, the guy who made em said that the people didn't follow the instructions, I have no idea if the design has been modified at this point to prevent those issues from occurring even if the users didn't properly follow the instructions, and I have no idea if it was bad design or user error.
    Last edited by Ross Becker; 08-11-2015 at 7:14 PM.

I'm not finding the PM 66, or 70 as available models. Anybody here have experience with one, and how/what do they hook up to?

The '66 saw is "obsolete" - i.e. no longer in production. HOWEVER: '66 saws go for fabulous bucks, and are rebuilt - revamped - re-whatever.

The '70 saw is likewise "obsolete", and the same deal holds as with the '66 saw.

The replacement from PowerMatic is the TS2000 - which is BIG BUCKS. However, your grandchildren will bless you for buying one so it can be passed down to them.

I meant to say I can't find a B*rk option for the PM 66 or 70.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I had my 66 completely apart for a thorough cleaning. While I could see all the pieces I tried to figure out how to add a riving knife and/or a dust collection shroud under the blade. Neither happened as the saw just wasn't designed to accept those. Maybe a skilled metal worker could have done it, but I wasn't that.

However, the advantage of the riving for you appears to be that it will lower below the table when cross cutting on the other saw. I have seen after market splitters that sort of plug into the insert behind the blade. They do not lower nor even rotate with the blade (which the OEM splitter does) which makes them less desirable on a do everything saw, but if this saw is dedicated to ripping, I doubt you tilt the blade very often. It would be fast to simply lift it out when cross cutting on the other saw, and put it back in when ripping with the blade at 90 degrees.

I have a PM66. My understanding is there is no aftermarket riving knife available due to the way the arbor assembly pivots as the blade is raised and lowered. I sure wish the design would allow for one.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I have a PM66. My understanding is there is no aftermarket riving knife available due to the way the arbor assembly pivots as the blade is raised and lowered. I sure wish the design would allow for one.

John

Does a Unisaw pivot at the front of the saw or how do they work? That's my seeming biggest challenge as there's not a whole lot of movement in the back as you lower and raise the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Becker View Post
    the b o r k store.com is where that should be pointing. Not sure why on earth that would get censored. Note that there were some issues with those at some point in time, where they got loose and got launched by the saw blades. There was some hullabaloo about it, the guy who made em said that the people didn't follow the instructions, I have no idea if the design has been modified at this point to prevent those issues from occurring even if the users didn't properly follow the instructions, and I have no idea if it was bad design or user error.
    I don't think Bob frequents SMC anymore, so I'll state what I know of that situation. If I recall, that happened to one of the earlier versions to one unit that likely had plenty of "user input". Regardless, based on that incident, Bob changed the design so that it can no longer happen....the slot is now a closed loop.

AFAIK, the B0-R-K won't fit the PM66, though it might fit a PM64. You could always get creative and create your own. Best to check directly with Bob Ross in to get the latest info.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think the closest you will get is a SharkGuard. That's what I put on my restored 66. Not sure he makes them for the 70 but you should enquire. Very easy to remove. I believe the Bolt On Ripping Knife acted as a splitter rather than a true riving knife that could raise and lower with the blade.

Doug