Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good turning apron that is long enough. What do you use?

Need a good turning apron that is long enough. What do you use?

I'm looking for a decent, long enough (knee length?) wood turners apron. What do you use? I'm tired and my wife is too with wood chips covering my clothes and in my shoes then ending up in the house. Thanks for any suggestions.

Red
    RED

I use a Turners' smock. Either the Craft Supply smock or the AAW smock. They are not long, I would think normal shirt length or a bit longer. Seeing as you lathe should be above waist level, I think that's plenty long. I also have a Tormek woodworkers apron that is knee length and I really like it, but I don't use that when turning.

Some use the Tyvek painter's suits. For me, I keep a broom handy. You can't blow them off with the air hose, and the broom even gets 90% of the shavings off my socks.

robo hippy

An apron is useless. I'll either use a smock when turning stuff where there will be lots of chips and dust or nothing if it is just a small project like a spindle.
    Bill

5. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/leather-woodturners-shop-apron.aspx

I have a friend who uses one of these and loves it!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-13-2015 at 2:57 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the responses. I thought most wear some kind of apron and I would have way too many "must haves" suggestions. I guess the dust and chips bother me more than others. I will keep searching. Thanks and if you have one you like please pass it along.

Red
    RED

I use the one from lee valley
    Al

Kay Leonard has a classified in the East Texas Woodturners http://www.easttexaswoodturners.org/ newsletter for a turning smock. I have used one of hers for about 7 years and she also has had shoe covers. She had a booth several years back at SWAT. The material is flag stock, light weight, and sheds dust and shavings well. There is a knitted collar with Velcro closure and elastic Velcro waist strap. I don't turn without using both. The shoe covers work well to keep shavings out of shoe/boot laces.

Another vote for the Lee Valley one...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

The only way to keep chips and shavings out of your clothes and house is to turn naked.
    Joe

" turn naked"
    WAHHHHH!
    No pics PLEASE.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Have you considered ankle gaiters? When I turn in shorts they do a great job of keeping the shavings out of my socks/shoes, which is how most of them get dragged into the laundry. A regular turning smock, long pants, and gaiters and you're practically bulletproof.

I use the Lee Valley one, it's biggest problem is it is long sleeved and the elastic cuff acts like a magnet for chips, other than that I am happy with it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I picked up an AAW smock at the symposium and love it. Short sleeves, and long enough over my belt so that's not an issue. Ankle gaiters is a good idea.

Thanks for the responses. I'll decide and order soon.

Red
    RED