Thread: spanner wrench

spanner wrench

Any ideas where I could find a spanner wrench for a keyless chuck I use on my lathe. Hand tightening just does not do it any more. I use draw bar to keep the chuck in the head stock.

I use a keyless Chuck with a drawbar that I hand tighten and have never had a problem with it slipping. Is it perhaps time to upgrade your chuck?
    Another option, use a strap wrench to tighten the Chuck.

Depending on how much you use it, throw it into a vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    I use a keyless Chuck with a drawbar that I hand tighten and have never had a problem with it slipping. Is it perhaps time to upgrade your chuck?
    Another option, use a strap wrench to tighten the Chuck.
    I am making captive rings with a sorby tool and the rings are not the captive type just plain rings. They are stand alone rings. I make a 3/8" thick by 3" dia. disk which I hold in place with a buffing mandrel and the tool has a tendency to pull out the chuck or mandrel, or just plain loosen up everything. I made a pilot hole in the end of the buffing mandrel so my live center in the tail stock keeps everything in place. just wanted a more positive arrangement. By the way the taper that holds the chuck to the #2 MT also wants to disengage. The keyless chuck is about 2yrs. old and I use two channel locks to do the tightening.