Thread: Oneway 20" banjo

Question Oneway 20" banjo

I have the new Grizzly G0766 and I am loving it. I did have to bore out the banjo to fit all of my 1" rests though. I was looking at the Oneway toolrest some people talked about in here to replace the original Grizzly one. I am wondering why the bigger banjo would be a better fit for it.With the shorter shafts on some of my rests, a taller banjo would be necessary. Thoughts please.

Thanks everyone.
    Larry

If you're willing to wait a few months for the castings to be completed and shipped out, the Head Honcho of Grizzly chimed in on one of the threads and said Grizzly would make a new (larger) banjo and send it out free to all G0766 owners.

Granted, it does appear at a quick glance that the new banjo they will be supplying will be an inch or so shorter than the current banjo on the G0766 (if my memory serves me correctly). So, if some of your posts are already a bit short, the new one will only exacerbate the problem.

3. 1/2" shorter and a little taken off the toolrest post to make it sit at a good point below center line. Larry, if you go to the Oneway 20" banjo, you will need the longer posts on your rests.........if you get the 24" banjo like for a PM 2442 from them, the vertical portion that holds the post sits higher and you could use a shorter post.......talk to the tech guys at Oneway to make sure, and tell them you have the shorter posts, or wait for the bigger banjo from Grizzly when it comes out and see where you are. You may be just fine with what you have when it comes out.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I had heard the Oneway 16" banjo woould fit the new lathe but the others were to high or something. I will call Oneway and talk to them about it. On another note, has anyone set up vaccuum on the Grizzly G0766 yet?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dubia View Post
    I had heard the Oneway 16" banjo woould fit the new lathe but the others were to high or something. I will call Oneway and talk to them about it. On another note, has anyone set up vaccuum on the Grizzly G0766 yet?
    I have my Hold Fast system set up......all I had to do was put on a longer piece of lamp rod to accommodate the longer spindle on the 0766 compared to my 18/47 spindle.

On the banjo, I am the one who got the 16" from Oneway, although it is longer than that as it was made for the outboard bed extension and will actually give you nearly 28" of swing on the 0766. The 20" or 24" Oneway banjo will be higher than the 16" banjo, so you could use a shorter post vs. the 16" outboard banjo I got.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-14-2015 at 6:23 PM.

Larry, I have a turning friend that has the 24" Oneway and he measured his banjo for me and with a Robust comfort rest in it it is about 11 1/8" tall which would be too tall. I would like to get the dimensions of the 20" as I think it would fit height wise just right. My only concern would be how far out it will pull. I'm waiting to see what Grizzly comes up with but will have to either modify it to make it taller or buy a Oneway.
    Sparky Paessler

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler View Post
    Larry, I have a turning friend that has the 24" Oneway and he measured his banjo for me and with a Robust comfort rest in it it is about 11 1/8" tall which would be too tall. I would like to get the dimensions of the 20" as I think it would fit height wise just right. My only concern would be how far out it will pull. I'm waiting to see what Grizzly comes up with but will have to either modify it to make it taller or buy a Oneway.
    When I spoke with the tech guy at Oneway, he said the 20" and 24" would be too tall for the G0766, and recommended that I get the 16" for the outboard attachment.

I found that his advise was spot on, but I had ordered the long post rests from Robust.......I am not sure if a shorter post length would fit properly or not, as I have not seen that combination. I suppose each of us is trying to save what money we can if we already have rests on hand with a shorter post........it would be good to measure the entire length of the post from top edge to bottom of post and have that measurement available when you discuss matters with the Oneway tech representative.........he certainly steered me in the right direction.

If your post is too short, cut it off, grind the spot clean and put on a length of your choice. I did this to a Robust comfort rest I had and put on a longer post. It helps that my neighbor is a wrought iron fence maker. If they are too long, bandsaw again as above, or a simple cutoff wheel and a few minutes can get you the length you desire (again, I have modified others of mine). I recently ordered a BestWoodTools adjustable length bowl rest with a PM post. Love it.