Thread: New HF dust collector or used grizzly

New HF dust collector or used grizzly

So I am going to purchase my first dust collector. Currently I am using a Dustless hepa vac with cyclone, which works well for smaller tools and one tool at a time but is very loud and obviously doesn't flow a lot of CFM.

I can get a HF dust collector new for around $160. There is a used Grizzly on craigslist for $150. http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/5170787102.html

Is that grizzly a more powerful blower than the HF unit? I plan on making a cyclone separator using: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEXBWS6/...I2KFQ9B1HYM690

Thoughts, opinions?

2. My preference would be for the Grizzly unit, but that's just me. I know plenty members here have used the HF collector, but I have also seen many who are skeptical of its true HP rating. Maybe the best information would be to compare the fan size diameter on both units as I have also heard the HF fan is a bit small in diameter compared to other 2 HP units.

I'm sure others will be along who have used the HF model and can give better info on it.

I have the HF. The maximum current I have measured is 12.5A on 120V. The Grizzly motor is rated at 12A at 220V, probably much more powerful. The HF fan is 9" (maybe 9.5", I don't remember for sure) and generates about 7" maximum pressure. You should ask about fan diameter and port sizes. I would get the Grizzly if the motor is good.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I contacted the seller, see if he can meet sometime this weekend. Hopefully he is able to demonstrate that it works

Assuming it works OK, get the Grizzly. It looks like it may be all but new anyway.

That blower would be a good fit with the SDD.