Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How remove protective coating on shipped tools?

How remove protective coating on shipped tools?

I recently had a number of tools shipped to my home...Although they were used (some were handplanes) they were coated with a protective viscous, sticky coating...I now would like to remove the coating and clean and tune the new "old" tools..What is best way to do that...My google search produced: mineral spirits, kerosene, WD-40....My initial try with these was not good or effective..What am I missing? Let me know your thoughts and recommendations... Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

I've used lacquer thinner. With chemical gloves, eye protection, and a vapor mask. Outside on the driveway with no possible source of ignition. And with old clothes you can throw away afterwards. I've heard of other people using gasoline (hopefully with the same precautions) but I've never been that brave/stupid.
    Wood'N'Scout

i like acetone with the above ppe.

If it's thick, perhaps start with a hard plastic scraper to remove as much as possible. Maybe a hair dryer to soften the gunk (not a blow torch).
    Mark McFarlane

Personally, I use turpentine. Just paint it on all the parts with a paint brush and then go do something else for a while. Come back and wipe the residue off. It smells nice and won't put you to sleep in a closed area.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I use mineral spirits and wd40 and its worked fine. Also used acetone works good. Goofoff is excellent, but stinks to high heaven. I use whatever I got and never had a problem. Assuming we are talking about cosmolene here.

question

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    I use mineral spirits and wd40 and its worked fine. Also used acetone works good. Goofoff is excellent, but stinks to high heaven. I use whatever I got and never had a problem. Assuming we are talking about cosmolene here.
    Thank you guys for your various suggestions..I've tried some form of most of them.Scraping helping somewhat.
    These are older handplanes and they are coated with this viscous, sticky substance that is troublesome/messy to work with.
    I'm not sure it is cosmolene...Is there an easy way to identify it?? Then I'd be sure I'm using the right solvent... Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions..
    Maybe patience and elbow grease will eventually prevail..
    Jerry

If it's a new tool its got a dark amber color and sticky, its probably cosomolene. I'd not worry about it. If you have mineral spirits soak a rag it in and coat the surface and let it sit for a while. If it's a nice flat surface like a jointer or something get a razor blade and start scraping.

It will come off. Worst one I did was my 12" jointer from grizzly. Man that sucker took a long time. The goof off worked the best but stunk to high heaven. Kerosene is a good one too. Just go at it. It will come off and you won't think about it (except for the sore shoulder) once your done

Good luck cheers.

>>>> they were coated with a protective viscous, sticky coating

That coating is cosmoline. Most solders are familier with it as military guns and equipment was coated with it for shipping. The preferred way to remove it is with terpentine (mineral spirits works well also). Using turpentine is slightly preferred as it leaves a thin oil coating on the metal which acts as a rust preventer.

For some interesting info on cosmoline, google "cosmoline".
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 08-17-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Howie.........

I'll offer a different option. I have used this stuff for removing anything grease related for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how well it works on so many different things. http://www.de-solv-it.com/ I have tried other similar type products, when I couldn't find any at the store and nothing comes close to this stuff. It smells great, like oranges, and is safe to use on almost anything. I use this to clean about everything. It did a great job cleaning up my major tools when they arrived, like my Jet saw, as well as small tools like my hand planes. It even works great at getting asphalt off the car, if you run into a freshly done road. It also works great to remove tire residue, when I take my car to the track. I highly recommend it for anything oil/grease related.
    Earl

Still working on it...

Have one plane pretty much cleaned up..Scraping initially is helping.
    Earl, just ordered online a bottle of desolvit....Thanks for the tip!!
    Making progress albeit slow.....
    Thanks to all...
    Jerry

Let us know what you think of it. I end up getting it online also now as I haven't found anyone carrying it locally.
    Earl

Maybe I got lucky (I have only had the pleasure of owning one tool sent in such a way) I used a cabinet scraper and I got the whole thing off in one strategic hit.

I've used Krud Kutter with good results: available at Home Depot/Lowes.

I had to take a lot of cosmolene off a Minimax multifunction machine. Scrape of chunky parts. Rub with diesel fuel on a rag. Probably has same function as turpentine. Leaves a little protective oily residue on the surface.