Thread: One piece bench top?

One piece bench top?

An earlier Thread by Chris brought up the subject.

Now I knew going in that the piece of pine that had been in a curing shed for six year was going to make a move after I got it down to 17w x 3-1/4th & 60"L removing up to 5/8" of thickness.

Set it aside for bout eight months and sure enough 1/8 crown in length and 1/16 cup across. Now my question is when I re-flatten this thing after this amount of time, can I expect it to stay reasonably bought where I put it. Also it ain't far off from the pith.

As this is a prototype bench and is going to get the total package of abuse I'm not seeking perfection, Just wondering how many more shavings are in my future to keep it close enough to work with.

Thanks and regards, Lamar

I don't think any sensible person is going to want to make that prediction for you! I would expect movement, because you are always better off expecting movement than not, but I think that, after six years, as long as you have given the slab ample time to acclimate to its actual working environment, you might as well get on with your build. Just be prepared to flatten the top, and maybe more than once in the first couple of years.

It's pine; it'll be easy enough to adjust. Get yourself some winding sticks and a long straight edge and check it from time to time.

If you are making a Roubo bench, with legs tenoned into the top, he (Roubo) recommends having the pith side up. That way if the top dries out, it tends to be restrained in movement by the legs and stretchers. And it will more likely hump up in the middle. Planing the middle is easier than planing the edges because the joinery is not involved. In addition the top retains its thickness at the edge, which is helpful. I would cut the joints and assemble the bench before flattening the top.

Nothing wrong with a single plank for a bench top..
    cleaned off.jpg
    Better look quickly, as this is one of the rare times it is ever cleaned off completely...
    tool well.jpg
    Not every day this happens...

I would go ahead and use it....you can always re flatten it.

My small Roubo is something like 2 3/8 thick in the bench top and takes hold fasts just fine.

My old secondary bench, which essentially wore out and made a decent fire in my fire pit before my son went off to college, had a 1 7/8 thick SYP top. It also held hold fats just fine.

If it were me AI woudl rip the slab down the middle and make a split top bench. This would give you a 20 inch wide bench, probably more stable than a 17" wide bench, which is a bit narrow.

Also, having had a split top bench, I would never want to go back to a solid top. Very handy for clamping and tool storage.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nothing wrong with a single plank for a bench top..
    cleaned off.jpg
    Better look quickly, as this is one of the rare times it is ever cleaned off completely...
    tool well.jpg
    Not every day this happens...
    This bench violates several rules of bench making and still works like a banshee. I find overthinking a great sin in bench building...and something I am guilty of myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    This bench violates several rules of bench making and still works like a banshee. I find overthinking a great sin in bench building...and something I am guilty of myself!
    A clean bench top, especially one owned by Steven.....

Proof that aliens exist and they have taken over his brain!

Now that I am thinking about it, how did you get that thing into the basement? Did you assemble it there?

I see a book/DVD combo here - "Building A Steven C Newman Bench". Steven, by any chance, do you have any of those long sleeved shirts with the belled out sleeves and a cloth vest to go over the shirt? Buckled shoes?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    A clean bench top, especially one owned by Steven.....

Proof that aliens exist and they have taken over his brain!

Now that I am thinking about it, how did you get that thing into the basement? Did you assemble it there?

I think he did....we need to get him into our bench building scenario as well...

Might have been aliens....LOL
    Twas built in a single, sunny, Sunday afternoon on the patio out behind the house..
    SDC15842.jpg
    Added the vises and a Crochet after it went to the shop. Had to slide it done the stairs on it's top.

Maybe start another build thread about this old bench?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might have been aliens....LOL
    Twas built in a single, sunny, Sunday afternoon on the patio out behind the house..
    SDC15842.jpg
    Added the vises and a Crochet after it went to the shop. Had to slide it done the stairs on it's top.

Maybe start another build thread about this old bench?

Or make some more shavings on it....

Redid a Fulton I found at a garage sale this past summer.....final tune up was today, since you said make some shavings..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Board is some White Oak scrap.

Tested a Craftsman #3C as well..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Both irons will need a few trips on the stones.....

A little slow getting back,

Thanks folks for the input.

Warren, I agree, but I went with the pith down because of the rosin and a few knots I didn't want to deal with being on the top.

I also considered going with a split top Chris, but settled on the the design of of a "Traveling Work Bench" that St Roy built on one of his shows with slayed legs on back for stability and a rear tool tray. Kinda tricky joinery but this about learning and gaining skills as I go. So break out the winding sticks, straight edge and back at it.

As the computer I'm using is bout a cooked out critter still running XP, I'll wait till my new one that a friend is building arrives I'll post some pics when I get a handle on the Linex os.

In the meantime thanks again to all, Lamar