Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierced Aspen HF

Pierced Aspen HF

It's been a mad dash over the last 2-3 weeks trying to get pieces finished for the trip to SWAT this year. This is one of the finished pieces.

Aspen, about 5" tall, 1/8" thick walls and rattle can lacquer to top it off. About 8-10 hours of piercing.

Comments and complaints are always welcome!

tall pierced HF.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 08-18-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: had the finish labled wrong
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Complaints? My only complaint is that its not mine!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Very nice work a beautiful piece.

Very nice piece!!

That is going to get a lot of rave reviews, excellent form, execution, and just down right gorgeous piece. Way to go Scott
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Scott - I like both of the pieces you posted. The shapes are very pleasing and bottoms are proportioned perfectly (at least to my eye). I'm a newer turner and was wondering what determines if you top the HF off with a finial or not?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, for me I generally do two types of hollow forms. Pierced and not. I will do a finial if it is NOT going to be pierced, just to dress it up a bit. With a piercedull form, I believe they are too busy for the finial. Thanks for the comments everyone.

8. Hubba, Hubba! Beautiful form, and the overall quality of this piece is certainly high end and superbly designed and desireable for collectors art. Nice work, Scott!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Love the design Scott, and the form is beautifully shaped. Can you tell us a bit about how you marked off the piercing design?

Doug

Definitely an art work. Beautiful and love the shape.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

How do you do that? With a Roto-Zip or something? It looks like something that would be done best on a scroll saw if not for the other side of the vase getting in the way. I think a jig saw would be too cumbersome.

Another signature piece, Scott. Thanks for posting it. Your photo skills are just about as good as your turnings are!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Another beautiful piece. Outstanding in every way.

Your pierced items always astonish me. The work in doing the piercing must far out weigh the time spent turning. The randomness of the pierced sections is part of the beauty. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to get them looking so regular and still keep them so random.

Lovely piece.
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

All three so far today are lovely, but this one looks like perfection. It's good to see you posting again, Scott.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary