Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Arrival in the shop-(also a small gloat)

Congrats on the new purchase. Edge sanders are very handy.
    I have the Jet 6x89, used almost daily. Couldn't hardly do without it now.
    I use it mainly for door and drawer front edge sanding.

John, nice looking sander.

I'm curious about what you think of the replacement belt situation? I have a PM13 that takes about 15 minutes to change out a belt on due to the amount of sheetmetal that needs to be removed. I often times need to change belts 3-4 times in a day if we have a lot of parts to sand and it adds up.

I'm also interested in the table elevation on yours. On mine I can't get to the bottom inch of the belt and I can't get to the top 1.5"...I mostly edge sand .75 in stock.

Other than these issues, I'm happy with the tool...it does do what it was designed to do.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones
    John, nice looking sander.

I'm curious about what you think of the replacement belt situation? I have a PM13 that takes about 15 minutes to change out a belt on due to the amount of sheetmetal that needs to be removed. I often times need to change belts 3-4 times in a day if we have a lot of parts to sand and it adds up.

I'm also interested in the table elevation on yours. On mine I can't get to the bottom inch of the belt and I can't get to the top 1.5"...I mostly edge sand .75 in stock.

Other than these issues, I'm happy with the tool...it does do what it was designed to do.

Doug
    Well I'm not John, but what I do on my Jet is to clamp a 3/4 board on the table. I can then get the full use of the belt. And even though these are directional belts, I turn mine over the get the full use of the belt. Never had one to come apart by reversing the direction of it.

Hey John...

I always post this when I see someone with a new edge sander...

Please be very careful in using it. It's highly useful, and you'll find yourself using it for all kinds of things you never imagined, including sanding short, small pieces. When doing this, it's real easy to have the piece "catch" on the belt and then find your fingers doing business with the belt. (The fingers never come out good in that transaction.)

I've had two "lotsa blood, but not truly serious" accidents in my shop, and both times, it's been on the edge sander.

My main advice is this... If you sand short or narrow pieces that orient your fingers close to the belt, be sure your fingers point "downstream" from the belt... so that if your wood disappears and goes sailing, your fingertips don't push into the belt, but rather "go with" the belt.

Going against the belt will literally knock your fingertips off.

This is a relatively benign looking machine, but like I said -- two accidents in my shop, and they've both been on my edge sander.

Of course, it's not possible that any of my accidents were due to my own lack of knowledge or expertise -- no way -- it was the machine's fault!!!

Also... I'm still waiting on my phase converter for my shop!!

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL