Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your privacy worth?

I don't give any information to anyone, I don't sign up for any of those stupid discount cards where they track your purchases, etc. They don't have to know and if they want to know, they don't get any info. I have a spam e-mail address that I use, it even says "spam" in it, that's all they get. If I have to run over to it to "verify" the address, I will, empty the trash while I'm there and never see anything else they have to send.

If you use a credit or debit card stores will use that to track your purchases. They don't need a discount card to track your purchases.

I know Target uses credit card numbers to track purchases because I have gotten coupons at the register for stuff I previously purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I didn't see your name in the Ashley Madison data, so you're safe there.
    BOOM!!! goes the dynamite.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I jealously guard my privacy. SNIP

I have a great email for those idiots. It's jambthespam@... Once they spell it out and see the smile on my face they tend to give me the stink eye. If anyone of these trolls actually sends anything to it they get a fairly nasty auto reply back. Phone number and address are always off by a few digits. So the mail doesn't go to anyone else the number I use doesn't exist.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

If I'm paying cash and they ask for a phone number it's 202-456-1111.

When asked for zipcode, mine is 90210. Phone number is 876-5301.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    When asked for zipcode, mine is 90210. Phone number is 876-5301.
    Why not 867-5309, Tommy?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Is BR549 available?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Why not 867-5309, Tommy?
    That's what I meant. Long week. THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Why not 867-5309, Tommy?
    Why do you want to give Jenny your problems, Kent? What did she do to you? Why are you still mad at her after all these years?

I remember 30 years ago a guy I worked with filled out all those warranty cards with "John Q. Public".

When I still bothered to fill them out I used different variations on my name. When I got the inevitable junk mail I could see what weasel had sold them 'my' name. This info selling has been going on a long time but it has really gone into overdrive lately.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That's what I meant. Long week. THanks.
    No sweat - I followed you. I was not taking liberty with your first name - that was a hook to Tommy Tutone - you just happened to fit the bill, that's all.

For the most part those reading this thread are not the target of such spam. We're older and jaded, in a good way... Those trolls are looking for gen "no clue" who will post most anything of themselves on their fav social media site and have no clue about the future consequences...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Is BR549 available?

My preference would be 234-5789.

I recently applied for an apartment and was required to let them do a background check online which included giving them access to my bank account to withdraw $20 for the cost of the check. I had to give them name social security number bank routing and account # email and telephone #. I knew I was basically putting my life in their hands took the risk anyway and am setting here today enjoying life in my new room. I believe anyone who thinks their information is safe is delusional anyway. In today's electronic world there is no such thing as a bank account that is safe from being hacked. I don't rely on the idea that my info is safe to have peace of mind, I rely on my ability to take care of myself regardless of the situation. I agree that I would not just randomly post my bank account and routing # on Facebook but I did give my real email and such to BP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I recently applied for an apartment and was required to let them do a background check online which included giving them access to my bank account to withdraw $20 for the cost of the check. I had to give them name social security number bank routing and account # email and telephone #. I knew I was basically putting my life in their hands took the risk anyway and am setting here today enjoying life in my new room. I believe anyone who thinks their information is safe is delusional anyway. In today's electronic world there is no such thing as a bank account that is safe from being hacked. I don't rely on the idea that my info is safe to have peace of mind, I rely on my ability to take care of myself regardless of the situation. I agree that I would not just randomly post my bank account and routing # on Facebook but I did give my real email and such to BP.
    I would have kept looking for an apt where the managers weren't so invasive. Would you give a blood sample to an insurance company?