Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etching Into 18k Gold

*patiently waiting for the actual engraving while chanting 'do it, do it, do it'*
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    But feel free to try and let me know how slow you have to go before you start to make a dent.
    I'd love to try it, but I don't have a fiber.
    I do lots of anodised aluminium with my CO2 and some stainless with cermark or plaster. To be able to mark other metals - particularly precious metals - (without resorting to cermark or similar) would be very useful, but I'm unlikely to invest in a fiber if there are a whole load of metals that it WON'T work with.

Whilst I'm aware that the machine manufacturers claim as wide a range of materials as possible, I'm puzzled that Trotec claim gold if it is really very difficult and potentially damaging to the machine.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    Whilst I'm aware that the machine manufacturers claim as wide a range of materials as possible, I'm puzzled that Trotec claim gold if it is really very difficult and potentially damaging to the machine.
    I just looked up info on their fibers... they're Q-switched, which means they could be pulsed with very high powers. How high isn't listed, but with the extremely low absorption value for gold, you really need high power to remove/mark material (similar to a piece of 1/8" stainless steel laughing at a 100W CO2 laser trying to cut it, but a 1kW CO2 laser would blast right through it). If Trotec (or anyone else, for that matter) can pulse with enough peak power, then yes, it could likely mark gold. If they claim they can mark it, then bets are they have a decent amount of peak power coming from their setup. A 30-second search on Google for Epilog and ULS did not turn up anything about using Q-switched fibers, so more searching would be necessary to determine if they can, as well.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

OK, Here is the result. I wasn't much worried about it being reflective even though it was like a mirror, as the lens will focus for a given distance, the reflected beam would no longer be in focus upon reaching back to the lens.

Now, they've given me a blank check (metaphorically speaking) for this piece, I have to decide what this work is worth. I know the Jeweler will be shaping this gold plate around the outline of the Lion, applying it to a big gold bracelet, then bending to fit the client's wrist - This image was a special request of his client.

Gold_Lion_w.jpg

A lot of gold dust left on the laser bed, any hints for collecting it? This plate was so reflective it was hard to get a good shot of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-21-2015 at 4:06 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim-
    Great work! Bold engraving!! To the victor go the spoils!!
    I tried to find some answers on this topic... dug a little deep...

"...The reflectivity of a given material will depend on the frequency of the lightsource through the dispersion relation of its index of refraction. For instance in thecase of normal incidence, values for reflectivity of metals in the near UV and visiblespectral range are typically between 0.4 and 0.95, and between 0.9 and 0.99 for theIR [7]. In addition, the reflectivity of a surface will depend on the temperature of thematerial through changes in the permittivity, band structure, plasma oscillations, ormaterial phase [19]. For instance, upon melting, the reflectivity of silicon increasesby a factor of about 2 [20], while that of a metal such as Ni changes by only a fewpercent [21]. In the case of small scale or structured materials, additional optical resonancesare possible, such as surface and bulk plasmons and polaritons, which canlead to enhanced absorption or reflection due to the details of the photon–electroninteractions [22].Once inside the material, absorption causes the intensity of the light to decay withdepth at a rate determined by the material’s absorption coefficient ˛. In general, ˛ isa function of wavelength and temperature, but for constant ˛, intensity I decaysexponentially with depth z according to the Beer–Lambert law,..."

http://www.princeton.edu/~spikelab/papers/book02.pdf

PS- My fiber is built! Shakedown and testing in progress... should ship within a week or so!
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I wasn't much worried about it being reflective even though it was like a mirror, as the lens will focus for a given distance, the reflected beam would no longer be in focus upon reaching back to the lens.
    Yeah, that's not how it works, it 100% can damage the mirrors from a reflection. Looks like it worked out alright which is great, but don't talk yourself into a false sense of security that the beam is too out of focus to reflect back into the lens because that's not true.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Tim

Nice job. Thanks for sharing that photo and info.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Gold is not really difficult to laser with a fiber laser, a short lens helps , 100mm would be a good choice, it is very possible to damage the optics in the machine, recently someone here with a galvo machine sent me photos of damaged galvo mirrors that have been caused by back reflection. Pretty much all fibre laser used for engraving are q switched , all with similar specs , normally made by SPI , IPG or raycus and a few other company's . Intrestingly copper is much harder to engrave and an old fashioned q switched yag is a better option as it has much higher peak powers.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

What is the incidence of damage from back reflection on galvos and any ways or tips to avoid it? I've been doing a lot of reading on the technicalities of fibers and industry studies. The best quote I've heard was something along the lines of engraving with fibers is still much of an artistically driven "black art"...! There are a lot of people doing some great work out there, but still a lot to learn and each person's use is different.
    Mine should arrive within the month!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Gold is not really difficult to laser with a fiber laser, a short lens helps , 100mm would be a good choice, it is very possible to damage the optics in the machine, recently someone here with a galvo machine sent me photos of damaged galvo mirrors that have been caused by back reflection. Pretty much all fibre laser used for engraving are q switched , all with similar specs , normally made by SPI , IPG or raycus and a few other company's . Intrestingly copper is much harder to engrave and an old fashioned q switched yag is a better option as it has much higher peak powers.
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Geraci View Post
    ... The best quote I've heard was something along the lines of engraving with fibers is still much of an artistically driven "black art"...! There are a lot of people doing some great work out there, but still a lot to learn and each person's use is different...
    Settings for the Fiber are nearly impossible to find, as compared to a CO2. You will find a lot of incomplete settings such as Speed/Power/Frequency. I say these are incomplete as they don't account for DPI at all & it does make a difference (on my machine). Also these settings are very vague as a Fiber can make many types of marks and or etchings, depending on modifying Speed/Power/Frequency/DPI/Focus (ALL 5 settings do matter). That's a lot of variables to pick from, especially when you have nothing but the client's piece to test with. I have asked a few members on this forum for assistance, but no response. Either they are as lost as I am or choose not to share the knowledge.

I have a whole month and half with mine and have a zillion notes so far. Some good & some not so much. I still hate Marking Aluminum as the fiber is of little help, same with Pewter and Copper. Note, bad luck with all of these, but refining settings without test pieces will take a long time if ever to find good settings. Cutting into material hasn't been as hard to figure out. That part of my business is now booming!
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I say these are incomplete as they don't account for DPI at all & it does make a difference (on my machine). Also these settings are very vague as a Fiber can make many types of marks and or etchings, depending on modifying Speed/Power/Frequency/DPI/Focus (ALL 5 settings do matter).
    If you throw in the gantry vs galvo then you get another set of variables - hatch angle and multiple passes with different hatch angles on the same job. My guess is that you don't find people willing to give up their settings because either they haven't figured it out yet or their machine and yours are just different enough that the settings would be useless. My galvo, for example, would have nothing in common with your gantry machine so what works well for me would not be possible for you to replicate with the options on your machine and vice versa.