Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yarn ball holders

Yarn ball holders

IMG_0200 (Copy).JPGIMG_0194 (Copy).JPGIMG_0237 (Copy).JPGIMG_0239 (Copy).JPG

These are yarn ball holders which provide the same function as yarn bowls. First are the turning bases being polyurethane coated, the second are the spectraply blanks used as the spindles and the laminated strip in the rotating base, third are the most recent which are made from walnut, bloodwood, and cherry, and the last is walnut with the spindle removed showing the threaded rod which attaches it to the rotating base. All of these holders rotate via a lazy susan bearing.

I think this calls for a tutorial. I love the smell of a good tutorial in the morning.

Seriously, these look very nice. Just as seriously, I think many of us would like some instruction on how to make them.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I like them. Very cool.

Red
    RED

Oh man, I can't let the boss see these. I've had something like this on my plate for ~a year~ but the ones I was thinking of weren't nearly as nice as these. If she see's them I'll never hear the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I think this calls for a tutorial. I love the smell of a good tutorial in the morning.

Seriously, these look very nice. Just as seriously, I think many of us would like some instruction on how to make them.

Thanks

My next batch I will take some picx's.

Nice!!

But wondering for the need of the lazy susan bearing plate. If you just put the ball of yarn on the post, would the ball turn (slip/slide) around it without the need for the whole top to spin?

But they are nice and I have a granddaughter that would love one.

Anybody got a place to obtain more hours for the shop????

Thanks for showing.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

The bearing were obtained on Amazon and are 40mm in size, you will also need a 10 X 24 "T" nut to hold the spindle. Don't buy the 40mm forstner bit use a 1 9/16" because the bearings are under 40mm. The spectraply I used is the 2 X 2 size which I cut into 4 pcs. to make 1 X 1.

I'm with Kieth. Wouldn't a bit of friction to restrict unraveling the wool be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Nice!!

But wondering for the need of the lazy susan bearing plate. If you just put the ball of yarn on the post, would the ball turn (slip/slide) around it without the need for the whole top to spin?
    I have been wondering the same thing about the need for a bearing. Any that I have seen online have a bearing yet I have had one individual suggest I make some and per her description there is no bearing. She described it as being like a small version of a vertical paper towel roll holder.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 08-24-2015 at 12:25 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rutter View Post
    I'm with Kieth. Wouldn't a bit of friction to restrict unraveling the wool be better?
    My wife uses one all the time and it is not free wheeling. I guess if it was horizontal it would be a problem but since it is vertical it works as planed.

Just one more thought, I thought I knew what knitters wanted and thought the Americana spectraply would be a big hit (old glory red, white, and blue) and the oak would a shoe-in, but no knitters wanted earth tones. So we are discussing this with non-knitters and not including knitters maybe they would have a different perspective. I am just making and selling what my customers want.

I like them and have made several for my wife who spends hours a day crocheting, but she prefers the yarn bowls, these wouldn't get a second glance. The best deal I made was a yarn winder so that the yarn is rewound and is looser coming off than from the commercially wound ball of yarn.

Robert; What is the diameter of your turntable. SWMBO saw these and said I want one. I think you know what that means. Thanks in advance. Art
    If you want to you will, other wise you will fail.

I start with a 5" square and end up with 4 5/8 " to 4 3/4". Depends how aggressive I am on the lathe.

Art just a little more info:

The circle for the rotating disk is 4 3/4". I first find the center and draw a 4 3/4" circle, than drill the recess for the bearing with
    1 9/16" forstner bit to accept a 40mm lazy Susan bearing to a depth of just less than 1/2 of it's thickness. Now use a 3/4" forstner bit to drill a recess in the bottom of the bearing hole so that a 10 X 24 "T" nut is just shy of protruding thru the piece. Now drill a 1/4" hole on these centers all the way through.

This will give you clearance for mounting the "T" nut later. Go to the band saw and cut out the circle. Now mount the completed circle using a 1/4 X 20 threaded rod or a bottle stopper mandrel on your lathe and true up the circle and couture to your imagination. Finish sand while on the lathe.

CAUTION: Before you insert the "T" nut drill friction fit holes for the "T" nut prongs because they have a tendency to split hard woods.

Sounds complicated but just part of the process.
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 08-25-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added more info..after thought

Thanks for the update Robert that is pretty much as I had envisioned the process. Art
    If you want to you will, other wise you will fail.