Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A pointless rant about morons on the internet...

A pointless rant about morons on the internet...

I have been looking for a ballasted 16' sailboat with a centerboard for 3 years now. There are a few companies that make them, but they aren't very popular, so used ones are rare; and I sure am not paying the price for a new one. In the interim I bought a crappy boat to use while I search for what I want.
    A Compac 16 showed up on CL. It comes in 2 models; with and without the centerboard. It is $4,000; which is way too much for a used sailboat, but if is my dreamboat...
    I sent him an email asking if it has a centerboard because the posting doesn't say. He replied that there was plenty of information on the internet; I should look it up. I told him there were 2 models. He told me I was an (Admin edit).

Presumably it does not have a centerboard or he would have said it did, so it is nothing of interest to me. But geez...
    Just venting.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-23-2015 at 3:56 PM.

I called on a BMW in Indiana a while ago and asked for a carfax. The guy, a dealer was rude, and said he did not have time even though the add says, "Clean Carfax". He said it would not be there long anyway so I was wasting his time. Okkkkkk.........

So its a month later and the car is still listed. I had cash.

Not everyone is a born salesman.

Blog Entries
    He replied that there was plenty of information on the internet
    There are no intelligence tests issued before people are allowed to get on the internet.

Some people can make mud look smart.

I often see items of interest on ebay with missing information. If someone gives me static about my questions, I let them sell it without me being involved.

This person may not know anything about what he is selling. I have no idea what a centerboard, let alone know if a boat has one or not. Often with specifications which the smart as mud seller is totally clueless, they might throw out such a comment to deflect anyone from knowing how clueless they may be.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-23-2015 at 5:16 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Alas, these stories and reactions are far too numerous for those of us that were around before the world wide web turned into a giant toilet; you know, the 90's . Just remember, you can't put it on the internet if it isn't true . . . it says so on the internet.

Sorry for your bad experience and I support your right to rant about it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the bit where we can cuss someone out by calling them an Admin Edit.

I foresee a bright future for that term...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I like the bit where we can cuss someone out by calling them an Admin Edit.

I foresee a bright future for that term...............

LOL. That's too much.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    LOL. That's too much.
    Says the prototypical Admin Edit.

Myk, Myk, Myk........you can't - you cannot - set me up like that. Low hanging fruit, eh brudda?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I don't know what a centerboard is either, guess I am a (Admin Edit).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I don't know what a centerboard is either, guess I am a (Admin Edit).

But you aren't selling a $4,500 sailboat.
    This guy was.

It is a board you put down the middle of the boat into the water to keep the wind from pushing the boat sideways.

A removable keel, or dagger board.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Keeps the boat from skidding across the water. It also resists the overturning moment of the mast, boom, and sail.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Keeps the boat from skidding across the water. It also resists the overturning moment of the mast, boom, and sail.
    Actually it enhances the overturning moment. With the board up a strong gust will blow the boat sideways. With down the board will stick in the water and cause the boat to heel severely from torque on the sails.

Is it his boat my niece bought a house and the old owners left a boat. They have no idea about it and just want it gone. I asked them about it and they said it is on a trailer

Okay, my brain has very limited memory. I was thinking about that today. A boss asked me to do something in the morning and I wrote it down and taped the paper to my bench so I would know to do it in the morning. I actually know very little; mostly I know where to find out. So I enter into my brain what a centerboard is; what has left my brain? See, I am still a (Admin Edit).

I sold my tablesaw on Craigslist recently for a bargain price. One guy wrote a note and asked if I would deliver it to Kalamazoo. I responded that I might be able to since a friend has a truck. About 2 hours later a guy told me he is picking up the saw the next day with cash in hand. What do you think happened?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Ha! Reminds me of the time I went into a Ford dealership. I thought I uttered the magic phrase, "I'm going to buy a car today". They looked at me like I was something they just dug out of their ear. I told them what I wanted. "I want a vehicle that can seat 4 people in relative comfort and can carry a 4x8 of plywood". They replied, "We don't think we have anything for you."

So I went elsewhere and bought a vehicle that day. The dealership was closed by the end of the year.

My wife says that I have a super power. If a business makes me mad, they tend not to last. I think of it differently. I am so slow to burn that if a business manages to make me mad, they have already alienated just about everyone else. Such places are on borrowed time long before I arrive on the scene.