Thread: know its a long shot but....

know its a long shot but....

I need a sharpener near Kingsport TN 37660. I have somehow let 3 sets of jointer knives get dull, thinking I had one more good set left. I need to send out a few saw blades along with planer and jointer knives but I need a set ready YESTERDAY. Its a 100+ year old machine so I cant just run to Woodcraft. I used to send them out to someone in Johnson City TN but cant find a recept with a phone number. Any local guys use someone fast?

Walk into a local cabinet shop and ask them who they use. There's only one that services my area, as in they come to me, but there's at least three that I know of within an hour's drive.

Thanks Martin but I AM the local cabinet shop. I send my blades back to Forrest and jointer/planner knives thru our local Woodcraft (now ACE Hardware) and the local guy picks up drops off there.. I'm in there almost every week anyway so it cuts down on stops. It has always worked out since I keep a couple sets of everything. This time, whoever reset jointer knives, (I'm betting ME) didn't write it down and I have 3 dull, nicked up sets. I need 1 day turnaround this time and hoped someone local knew where I could find a grinder around 37664.

This isn't what you asked for, but...
    Could you go somewhere and buy a Makita 9820-2 sharpener. It does a great job on straight jointer/planer blades in a relatively short period of time (say, 10 minutes, once you get a feel for it), would get you out of the jam you're in, and you'd have it on hand just in case.

Thanks all. I was in panic mode and went back to the shop last night. I took the set that only had a grind or two left anyway (in case I ruined them) and mad a crude jig. I did the scary sharp thing with sandpaper, spray adhesive, and my tablesaw top. they seem to cut ok but I sent everything out with a rush order this morning. I'll pay more in overnight shipping a new set cost but it will be worth it to have all my backups here and ready to go