Thread: Air Compressor and Spray Gun. What's the right combination

Air Compressor and Spray Gun. What's the right combination

I just bought a 15 gallon Dewalt Air Compressor from Lowes. I am wondering if I can use a LVLP spray gun with this air compressor. Or should I just get a HVLP spray gun for this compressor.

The LVLP gun that I am looking at getting is a California Air Tools Sprayit SP33000K. Which is from amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/SPRAYIT-SP-3300...ords=Spray+Gun

Here are the specs for the air compressor

Specifications:

• Amps: 15
    • Horsepower: 1.6
    • Maximum pressure: 200 PSI
    • Pump speed: 1,750 RPM
    • Noise level: 78 dBA
    • Tank capacity: 15-gal / 56 L
    • Fitting size: 1/4-in
    • Air delivery SCFM @ 40 PSI: 7.1
    • Air delivery SCFM @ 90 PSI: 5.4
    • Air delivery SCFM @ 100 PSI: 5

You should be more than ok with that setup. I had 6 gallon pancake compressor and used these spray guns:

http://www.amazon.com/Ampro-A6034-Pr...lvlp+spray+gun

I'm no professional but I have been using these sprays guns for over a year now. Upgraded my compressor to a 20 gallon.

If you want to try an HVLP gun try the one from Harbor Freight they are pretty good for the price. Our company uses them as production guns to paint Stuff for trade show displays

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you want to try an HVLP gun try the one from Harbor Freight they are pretty good for the price. Our company uses them as production guns to paint Stuff for trade show displays
    I totally agree. These can be purchased for as little as $9.99 each. But be aware there are two models, one of which includes wrench to take gun apart. At the end of the day, I find it hard to justify cleaning a ten dollar gun (solvent and time,) but do. Woodcraft's gun is same gun in different color, with a slightly better air cap.

I bought that exact LVLP gun about 2 months ago. My compressor is very similar to yours, 7 CFM @ 40 psi and 5.3 @ 90, and my compressor runs fairly continuously during use. I honestly don't think it would keep up with an HVLP gun, which typically use more air.

This is my first spray setup so I dont have a lot to compare to, but the SprayIt gun is very well made and sprays great. You'll appreciate the kit which comes with the extra needle sizes.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your compressor would run the purple $10 HF gun with no problem. I typically spray around 25 psi inlet pressure at the gun; your 7 cfm at 40 psi is more than enough. With its 1.4 mm orifice it lays down a very nice finish with shellac, lacquer, or other low viscosity products. You can spend a lot of money on a spray gun, but you don't need to to get really good results.

John