Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraver/Cutter - Questions and Decisions

Hi All,

thanks for the advise and help the past few weeks, it has been invaluable, I am at the stage of getting a final quote now for a machine so your help has gone a long way, i have summed up what is available in AU, my budget, my requirements and also what sort of local support I can get as that will play a huge effect on my purchase, I have made the decision to stick with Epilog as they fulfill more of my criteria than any other manufacturer here in Australia, I have decided to opt for the Helix model for its flexibility in use, wattage I have opted for 50W with an option to consider the 60W, I just have to see if the final price difference between the two will be worth the extra $

Ducting parts were purchased this weekend and the extractor should be here this week, all in all I am getting closer to being setup and ready to roll

Will keep you all updated.

Jack, the Helix is a solid model for Epilog. It's been out for a long time and it's been a staple in Epilog's line up for a while. You should be quite happy with it, congratulations!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Jack, the Helix is a solid model for Epilog. It's been out for a long time and it's been a staple in Epilog's line up for a while. You should be quite happy with it, congratulations!
    Thanks Scott, I know allot of guys and gals here use Trotec but I had to make a decision based on my criteria and Epilog just filled more of it than Trotec could, no bagging Trotec at all, they have amazing machines and If i was looking for a larger machine I think they would have a better fit

Saying that I can not fault AU customer service for Epilog, they should be very proud of their AU reps, my contact was amazing to deal with (still is) i think its been two weeks plus of questions all with prompt answers and if they could not answer right away they always let me know they got the question and will get back to me as soon as they could, couldn't be happier with the service which is one of the major tipping points of going with them

Quotes are in and I am happy with the prices so its just down to choosing 50W or 60W now, the cost difference is just under 10% of the budget, both machines will fit in my P&L but the 60W will make it a tougher first few years, that said though I might have some contracts lined up that need 6-8mm ply cut which probably suits the 60W more than the 50W

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    Thanks Scott, I know allot of guys and gals here use Trotec but I had to make a decision based on my criteria and Epilog just filled more of it than Trotec could, no bagging Trotec at all, they have amazing machines and If i was looking for a larger machine I think they would have a better fit

Saying that I can not fault AU customer service for Epilog, they should be very proud of their AU reps, my contact was amazing to deal with (still is) i think its been two weeks plus of questions all with prompt answers and if they could not answer right away they always let me know they got the question and will get back to me as soon as they could, couldn't be happier with the service which is one of the major tipping points of going with them

Quotes are in and I am happy with the prices so its just down to choosing 50W or 60W now, the cost difference is just under 10% of the budget, both machines will fit in my P&L but the 60W will make it a tougher first few years, that said though I might have some contracts lined up that need 6-8mm ply cut which probably suits the 60W more than the 50W
    Go more power option, you will never regret it
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Hi Guys, rather my thread does not turn into a Chinese vs Western war but here is a breakdown of why I chose a Western made machine over a Chinese import:

• Software, ability to store all my required settings in one system with list of all older jobs so i can quickly re-engrave or cut a previous project right from the machine
    • Optics, creating a much finer cut and higher quality engraving
    • Designed for both engraving & cutting, If I was only cutting 6mm ply all day long I would be getting a Chinese laser, but cutting is only 20% of my work, the rest will be high rez engraving
    • Features, inbuilt features such as relocatable origin, red-dot checker, air assist, optimized raster and vector engraving, colour mapping
    • Support, the Chinese lasers in AU have no support, I contacted two companies that bring in "imports" and did not get one email back, Epilog and Trotec responded in 12 hours or less
    • Ongoing Support and Training, all part of the package, a full day setup and training is provided in the cost
    • Warranty, a full 2 year comprehensive warranty is part of the package, which includes tube, optics etc, bumper to bumper with options to extend up to 10 years

Why is this thread being hijacked to discuss Chinese glass tubes? Maybe a good discussion, but go start another thread for it.

Back on topic... Jack if you have any Epilog questions, peer advice is free here. Take what is said with a grain of salt. As we all have our own opinions and experiences.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 09-09-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Why is this thread being hijacked to discuss Chinese glass tubes? Maybe a good discussion, but go start another thread for it.

Back on topic... Jack if you have any Epilog questions, peer advice is free here. Take what is said with a grain of salt. As we all have our own opinions and experiences.

Thanks Tim, much appreciated

I think my thread subject was a bit too vague so they may have not read the entire thread and only read recent posts assuming it was a general debate thread, its ok I don't mind a bit of banter as long as my questions don't get lost in the fog of war

Appreciate the advise if needed, will be calling on the experience of saw mill creek users allot over the next year

Exciting times

p.s I have decided to get the 60W Helix instead of the 50W, just waiting on finance to confirm and then I can sign the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    Thanks Tim, much appreciated

I think my thread subject was a bit too vague so they may have not read the entire thread and only read recent posts assuming it was a general debate thread, its ok I don't mind a bit of banter as long as my questions don't get lost in the fog of war

Appreciate the advise if needed, will be calling on the experience of saw mill creek users allot over the next year

Exciting times

p.s I have decided to get the 60W Helix instead of the 50W, just waiting on finance to confirm and then I can sign the paperwork.
    Good choice Jack, I think you'll be happy with it. When people ask me about the various brands of lasers, I almost always tell them that the Epilog is the easiest to use of any of the 3 major brands. I think you'll find the learning curve quite small and you'll be making things in no time. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Hurry up, would you? I think you'll be really glad you do the 60W. 60W is probably going to measure close to 70W when you get it (you should get them to measure the power when they set it up).
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Good choice Jack, I think you'll be happy with it. When people ask me about the various brands of lasers, I almost always tell them that the Epilog is the easiest to use of any of the 3 major brands. I think you'll find the learning curve quite small and you'll be making things in no time. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Hurry up, would you? I think you'll be really glad you do the 60W. 60W is probably going to measure close to 70W when you get it (you should get them to measure the power when they set it up).
    Haha, as much as I want the machine in my place like right now I need to make sure I am ready to take it, got a short list of stuff to get done, almost there, once finance is sorted I can sign for the machine and get to work on finalizing the garage, I received my extractor unit today so that is ready to be put in its place, I bought semi rigid 4" ducting, I need to cut a hole for the vent through the rear door, I need to add secure bolts to the rear door for security, Might also consider adding a wireless camera for the front of the garage to "deter" opportunist crime, benches are being moved into place for work space and convenience, shelving is almost done to hold stock of materials, laptop is purchased and CorelDraw has been purchased so I have started training on that, hope to have 2 or 3 designs ready to test before the Epilog guys turn up.

Will make a note to ask for a power test when they arrive, thanks

Many, many, many apologies to those who had the discussion about the 60W glass vs. 60W metal tube discussion. It had highjacked Jack's thread about buying his own laser and I "attempted" to split the thread and create a new thread from all those posts that weren't about Jack's adventure. I selected them all, told it to "Copy" them, it asked where to, and gave me a opportunity to give the new thread a new name, I did, and submitted it and now all the threads are gone and there's no new thread.

Sorry about that guys, I was trying to clean things up and looks like I made a mess of it all. Really sorry, that certainly wasn't my intention. Apparently that copy feature does something different than I expected it to do.

Many, many, many apologies to those who had the discussion about the 60W glass vs. 60W metal tube discussion. It had highjacked Jack's thread about buying his own laser and I "attempted" to split the thread and create a new thread from all those posts that weren't about Jack's adventure. I selected them all, told it to "Copy" them, it asked where to, and gave me a opportunity to give the new thread a new name, I did, and submitted it and now all the threads are gone and there's no new thread.

Sorry about that guys, I was trying to clean things up and looks like I made a mess of it all. Really sorry, that certainly wasn't my intention. Apparently that copy feature does something different than I expected it to do.
    Ahh shucks now i kinda feel guilty as well..

Hope I haven't offended anyone, it was just getting a bit over-run and off topic.

Thank you though Scott for taking the time and trying to split the thread.

Hi all,

Did a test fitting for the extractor today, can anyone see any problems with my proposed setup, I did a test run and it had great suction at the other end, its a 1hp unit around 650cfm stated on the box, I am hoping those two 90 deg turns and the 180deg turn I need will not effect the draw too much, Epilog state 350-400 cfm, with those bends do you think i'm getting that? the tubing is around 2.5m long total.
    20150914_223402.jpg20150914_223409.jpg20150914_223416.jpg

Jack
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

I didn't have any luck with that flexible metal piping. It leaked fumes and smoke. I converted to PVC piping.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I agree mine leaks also and when I get back home will change to pvc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I didn't have any luck with that flexible metal piping. It leaked fumes and smoke. I converted to PVC piping.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't think the 90's will hurt it too badly but the 180 will. Why not just flip it over and eliminate the 180?