Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Performax Conveyor Belt

Problem With Performax Conveyor Belt

I finally had to change the conveyor belt on my Performax 16/32. I bought a Deerfos brand replacement from Woodworkers Supply and the joint quickly failed. They sent a replacement but I can't get it to track properly. It ends up on the left side of the rollers no matter how I adjust the tension. A call to Jet suggested that the problem was probably with the belt. They suggested that I reverse it but it still tracked the same way.
    Any suggestions?

If you reversed it and it still tracked the same way I'd say your machine is out of adjustment. Check the distance between the rollers at both sides. A belt that has the same perimeter at both edges (a perfect belt) will track towards the side with the shorter distance. My Delta would always track one way until I finally changed the belt. When I took the old belt off I found sawdust built up on both rollers. Apparently the guy who owned it before me ran it with no dust collection. No wonder he didn't like it. After I cleaned the rollers it tracks well now. I'm not so sure the old belt was the real problem.

John

No offense intended, but did you follow the manual for the belt? If the joint failed, I would guess too much tension.....
    My new belt requires CONSTANT tracking adjustment. Maybe a batch of non-perfect belts are out there. My old belt tracked true for years before it failed.....

Getting mine to track correctly was a nightmare. I did eventually get it though. Quadruple checked the instructions.

It's pretty difficult to make accurate measurements on the rollers due to the connection to the motor. As best I can tell, the rollers are equidistant.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you reversed it and it still tracked the same way I'd say your machine is out of adjustment. Check the distance between the rollers at both sides. A belt that has the same perimeter at both edges (a perfect belt) will track towards the side with the shorter distance. My Delta would always track one way until I finally changed the belt. When I took the old belt off I found sawdust built up on both rollers. Apparently the guy who owned it before me ran it with no dust collection. No wonder he didn't like it. After I cleaned the rollers it tracks well now. I'm not so sure the old belt was the real problem.

John

Blog Entries
    I agree that if the problem were the belt the shift would reverse when the belt was swapped end-for-end. Sometimes you don't know when the rowboat will filp until you rock it far enough. I would start with the side the belt is moving toward adjusted out far enough to get the belt snug. The other side I would leave loose enough to barely come into play. If the belt still moves toward the tight side, something else is in play here. Foreign object, bent part, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Let me also add that the original belt lasted 12 yrs and after I set it initially, I never had to touch it again.

I also had a very difficult time to get a new belt to track. Once it tracked, though, I never had to make another adjustment. I fact, I think I'd be afraid to.

Update on tracking problem: I'm on belt # 3 - this one purchased from Woodcraft. This one consistently tracks to the right (the other 2 tracked left) and unable to adjust it otherwise. Another call to Jet suggested that I replace the infeed drive roller. The new ones have a knurled steel surface instead of rubber. I have a feeling I just wasted another $35 but stay tuned for another update when the part arrives.

Blog Entries
    I know it is not much help but, I really feel for you going through this pain for what should be a simple feed belt replacement. My brother often says "nothing's ever simple" which I don't usually subscribe to but, boy there are times . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I purchased a rubber drive belt 8 years ago from Amazon and it is still like new. The belt was around $80.00 and was well worth the investment. It is a neoprene type belt. Had no problems adjusting it and have never had to adjust the tracking. I would purchase it again and will never go back to the old style belt.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke View Post
    I purchased a rubber drive belt 8 years ago from Amazon and it is still like new. The belt was around $80.00 and was well worth the investment. It is a neoprene type belt. Had no problems adjusting it and have never had to adjust the tracking. I would purchase it again and will never go back to the old style belt.
    That's my next (and probably only other) option of the new roller doesn't work. Wish I'd done that first!

And the beat goes on. I received the new knurled infeed roller and got exactly the same results. I'm in the middle of a project and no sander for a week. Three belts and a new roller and the belt still won't track. I'm a bit torn about what to do now. I'm also concerned about throwing good money after bad. I've read some reviews about the neoprene belt having issues with work piece slippage.
    What to do, what to do?

I was hoping you had solved the problem because I have the same issue. Multiple belt changes made no difference. To me the physics is simple. The belt should run down hill if the tension on each side is not equal. But I can loosen the open side until the belt has no tension on it and the belt still moves to the closed side even when it's cranked tight.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    And the beat goes on. I received the new knurled infeed roller and got exactly the same results. I'm in the middle of a project and no sander for a week. Three belts and a new roller and the belt still won't track. I'm a bit torn about what to do now. I'm also concerned about throwing good money after bad. I've read some reviews about the neoprene belt having issues with work piece slippage.
    What to do, what to do?

The people who report frustration with these machines are legion, and include me--I have a 22/44 with the same unsolved problem. These things seem so finicky that a solution for one isn't a solution for another.

One owner's solution was to wrap a little tape around the center of the idler roller such that the roller is "crowned". He claimed it worked for him. I haven't tried it, but I probably will sooner or later. The neoprene belt doesn't seem to be an option for my machine, because I've never seen a 22" wide one for sale anywhere.
    Chuck Taylor