Thread: What Kind of Laser is this?

What Kind of Laser is this?

Hey all,

While searching for how to laser cut leather I found the following videos. What are they using to do this at such an incredable speed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZmI4PmPXw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0OHO9f8Uc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRF8BWKWlWo

are they specialized lasers for fabric?
    Gorilla Duct tape 2 x 35;
    16oz Gorilla Super glue;
    16oz can WD40;

They are galvo head lasers. Most ones people here use are gantry style, where the head moves, that style has 2 little mirrors that direct the beam around. They are really fast. You can get them in CO2 and Fiber sources, so you can mark or cut a lot of different things with them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

This blew my mind. All I could think was ... OOO If I only I had the cash...
    Gorilla Duct tape 2 x 35;
    16oz Gorilla Super glue;
    16oz can WD40;

Curious -- on the second video (EmbroidMe) why does the laser skip around to do the letters? Did do it on the initial shape. I guess I haven't looked at that many videos but just thought it was odd.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

The galvos use different software. I think the skipping around is an algorithm used to prevent intense heating and allow the area to cool momentarily to prevent warping of solids materials, mostly on metals. I've got a galvo fiber coming in soon to mark and engrave metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    Curious -- on the second video (EmbroidMe) why does the laser skip around to do the letters? Did do it on the initial shape. I guess I haven't looked at that many videos but just thought it was odd.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

I'm not sure the technical reason, but it's due to using the auto calculation optimized path in my experience. I would speculate it has to do with a path that both does not overheat the surface and is also optimal for speed. Since the letters are not connected it can do this. If they were connected I would suspect it would follow the line more as you were expecting. Keep in mind the head does not move on these galvos in the videos so, the way they function and engrave is significantly different than traditional co2 lasers.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 08-27-2015 at 4:21 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I don't think it has anything to do with path calculation or heat build up. It looks to me as bad file setup or it has been setup that way for the "wow" factor on the video. Amazing machines, we are looking at getting another to add to our setup. The new Trotec Speedmarker GS is on the cards - it's a super-pulsed laser but it's around the £80k mark which is around $120k which is a sizable investment.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Jiten Patel View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with path calculation or heat build up. It looks to me as bad file setup or it has been setup that way for the "wow" factor on the video. Amazing machines, we are looking at getting another to add to our setup. The new Trotec Speedmarker GS is on the cards - it's a super-pulsed laser but it's around the £80k mark which is around $120k which is a sizable investment.
    To second your remarks I have noticed how the file is setup on co2 lasers can cause this jumping around when cutting, layer/path order in illustrator seems to make a difference. I would assume it could be similar on a galvo as you said.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)