Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass or acrylic

Glass or acrylic

Which do you prefer engraving on glass or acrylic. The reason i am asking is because i can get all the glass i want for free compared to acrylic i ave to pay for. The glass is from regular house windows and sliding glass doors.

I Hope i do not get chastised again
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

I prefer acrylic because it's quicker and I can get much finer detail.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Where do you buy your acrylic? I want to try cutting it but it at such a high cost. How do you get your glass for free? (just scraps?)
    Gorilla Duct tape 2 x 35;
    16oz Gorilla Super glue;
    16oz can WD40;

Hey, if you can get free glass panels go for it...

True though Acrylic is easier to engrave and cut, glass can work pretty good too.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

does patio door glass engrave I thought it was tempered and would shatter

Whatever materials you can get for free and turn into $$$ is what I would recommend.

Blog Entries
    Junior,

If the glass is free what the heck! Nothing lost to try it. When I was working in ME for low wages I used to get market squid from fishermen when it was a byproduct of mackeral fishing and of no value to them. It was free. Took a while to learn to cook it right. But it was free!!!! No harm done other than to give me really strong jaw muscles from eating squid cooked wrong! (Think eating tire rubber with great flavor!)

Search the forum for advice on glass. There is a bunch on engraving it. And some discussion about cutting it. Or I should say scoring it to break. Sounds tricky and marginally successful.

Have fun!

Dave
    Last edited by David Somers; 08-27-2015 at 6:53 PM.

Brian Leavitt
    Thanks

Kristopher Powers I would buy it from either Lowes or Home Depot

Mike Troncalli / Mark Ross
    I agree free money with free glass
    I agree i was always told lord give me some thing for nothing so i can sell for some thing

Jerome Stanek the sliding glass doors i seen are glass Also have broken several of them

Kristopher Powers I know a person ( business ) that does vinyl siding and windows and also a glass company that remodels houses and they have 4 huge construction dumpsters loaded every week as the owner said i can have all that i want and then some to please come take all i want... Also Kristopher i have went to mirrors and glass company's and asked for there scraps. Couple of them any thing less than 44 inches of mirror they call scrap. I call free money. This window glass place these windows are still in cased with the wood frames around the glass.

Kristpher Powers also check with your damaged furniture places and also liquid dated places or your second hand places such as habitat for humanity. Also do what i did i got out the phone book and in the yellow pages i went threw every page with my finger and called every one i seen that would have mirrors, glass, windows also found construction / remodeling companys that do windows and asked for there old windows. This way with the construction dumpsters they pay by the ton and i am saving them couple dollars in weight from each window pane

Also with those windows that have the wood framing around them i get couple of the homeless people and give them couple dollars and also get couple people that are disabled on social security supplement income ( SSI ) give them couple dollars to take the wood frame off the glass. You will be surprised at things how these people will do for couple of dollars
    Last edited by Junior hall; 08-27-2015 at 7:48 PM.
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior,

Many of sign shops use acrylic as a base substrate in their application. Often they would have off cuts laying around that they would readily give away. Contact local shops and see if you can get some samples.
    They may use your services to laser cut some shapes and letters so possible future sales as well.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Thanks for the idea tony i sure will do this friday morning
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Glass doors that are designed for use under a specified height from floor level are either tempered or toughened (same for windows) (or sometimes both (bomb glass), some also have coatings that will affect the engraving.

If you are on about float glass then that can be engraved but don't count on getting very good results
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Kristopher Powers I would buy it from either Lowes or Home Depot
    Can you get cast acrylic at Lowes or Home Depot? I think all they have is extruded which does not engrave nearly as nicely as cast - does anyone have good success engraving extruded?.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

You want cast acrylic and its not at Lowes or Home Depot. Glass, fine can you cut it without problems? I don't think you can cut tempered glass.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I use mostly " acrylite 2.5mm" I get them for free from my local ACE hardware store they have every week quite a lot of cutoffs and I get them for free.
    ones in a while I give the girls something I make for there kids . they love it and they even hold the scrap pieces for me.
    I like to give because little gifts hold the friendship.

here are a sample

greetings
    waltfl
    Attached Images Attached Images

The simple answer is acrylic. I especially recommend it for you Junior. Glass/crystal is one of the trickiest materials to engrave well. If you don't have your settings dialed in, you'll get chipping and it's tricky to engrave large solid spaces and have it look right. Acrylic on the other hand is one of the easiest materials to engrave and you can cut it with minimal effort. To engrave text, acrylic is really easy. To engrave a processed image, it's just a bit more work. The material is consistent and you don't have to worry about tweaking your settings every time you get another piece of cast acrylic.

I would absolutely recommend you focus on acrylic. If you look around, you can get free acrylic scraps too. Even if you have to pay $10 for a sheet of cast acrylic, it's still worth it.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving