Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Bench - Yet another

The key to good woodworking on the Internet is to take a million pictures and pic the ones that make things look better than they are

Thanks, Al, yr kind. It's all a spectrum of ability. I'm still a rank neophyte compared to the majority here. But I wouldn't have it any other way; I like having a ways to go: It's not the destination but the joinery, right?

Putting legs on with a solid panel is a case of wanting both my steak and ice cream in a single dish.

Blog Entries
    The 'knob' looks fine to me as I understand it to be a function of the half-lap joinery.

I always think your work looks very accurate and neatly done. I think as craftsmen we always tend to be very hard on ourselves when it comes to our own work. Recently I went to the MET museum to check out the Ming furniture, it was an interesting gut-check, the joinery is accurate but not machine accurate like we tend to think is required.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks, Brian. These days I am more after the elusive good design. I find it straightforward to deaign for strength but less so for aesthetics.

Great looking bench!
    Is that a shellac finish?
    You said the top was joined to the stretcher bar, how did you attach it?
    im glad you're enjoying hand tools, and I'm glad you mentioned when they were helpful, very informative.

Evan, it is a waterlox and blo finish. The top is held to the stretchers with screws.

First of all, nice bench!

...so, what is the intended usage of this piece of furniture? Is it for seating? Or for displaying other equally nice looking artworks? If I am there, I don't think I would sit on it for fear of ruining the finish and the piece itself.

Another finely crafted product with great lines and surfaces, Prashun! Your mind's eye is highly developed and your craftsmanship is excellent. I thoroughly enjoy seeing your projects.

David

Neither, Wakahisa. Its for looking at and thinking about how it can be improved

and imho touching and rubbing the finish improves it!!!