Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collet Chuck Source

Collet Chuck Source

I recall seeing a video/article/post recently that had a link to a source for MT2 collet chucks for turning bottle stoppers and tops. It was a fairly low priced (~ $10-$15 each") collet from some machine shop supply type place. Not a major supplier like McMaster or MSC. All I need is the collets themselves as I can make my own drawbar and all I need are 3/8" and 1/2" sizes at this time. I've done some searching but I'm not having any luck this morning finding just the collets. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Doug

This is probably the one you saw, https://littlemachineshop.com The morse taper collets are here https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...gory=874479994

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    http://www.ctctools.biz/er-collet-chucks/ & http://www.ctctools.biz/er-collets/ is a good source for ER collets. If you choose to use a MT2 collet body, please use a draw bar! Better choice is something like http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/ER32_Page.pdf (the USD/AUD conversion at $0.71 makes "Australian owned/made" look very attractive if you are in the US.)
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 08-31-2015 at 5:15 PM.

You probably saw this on the Capt Eddie UTube Chanel it was one of his videos in 2013 March?. #195 or there about, I watched it today.
    The MT2 collet chucks are fantastic but the Beall ER32 collet chuck is the best of all. It comes with 5 standard sizes and then you buy a set of 18ea Metric ER32 collets on eBay and you can cover every possible size that you could want to hold....from 3mm to just over 3/4".
    Peter F

Edit: It was Eddies #159 UTube video.
    Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 08-31-2015 at 9:20 PM.

Doug, I second the littlemachineshop. That is where I got mine and they work as described!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pardon my ignorance, but are these MT2 collets used directly in the spindle taper of the lathe and just pulled tight with a draw bar ? Sounds just too simple after seeing several collet sets with a body that the individual collets fit into and tightens the collet onto the workpiece. Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Hey Don. That is the product that I was referring to. I do also have a set from DWay tools that has a very wide range of collets but is quite pricy!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Don,

I have been using ER Collets for fine spindle wood turning for well over 10 years. "MT2 Collets" are available with most MT2 collets being used as you describe. IMO MT2 collets are not as easy or convenient to use as ER Collets in a collet body nor are they as efficient as ER Collets for wood turning. An ER Collet is used in a Collet Body and retained by a Collet Clamping Nut. The Collet body can be a spindle with a MT2 taper that MUST be held in position with a drawbar or it can have a dedicated thread in the body that screws directly onto the headstock spindle thread i.e. Beal or Vermec.

MT2 collets or accessories using MT2 spindles can be used in either head stock (turning or machining) or tail stock (drilling)

I can't stress enough the danger of using a MT2 collet body, Jacobs Chuck, or MT2 collet fitted directly into the head or tail stock MT2 without a drawbar. Certain spindle cuts, particularly RHS cove cuts & RHS pommel type cuts with a skew, will draw a MT2 taper out of the head stock spindle. The same goes for drilling operations in the tailstock with MT2 collets, MT2 Jacobs chucks etc when withdrawing the drill bit, particularly large forstner style bits. MT2 accessories when used without "tail stock support" MUST be used with a draw bar! This includes buffing wheels, sanding accessories as well. I know we get away with it all the time - but it is unsafe!
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 09-01-2015 at 4:42 PM.

I have used an MT collet to hold my cutter when using a threading jig. It does well for that. I have since purchased an ER collet set from Craft Supplies which I really like. I did a review of this Apprentice collet chuck in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxM44TD0dRY
    God is great and life is good!

At Little Machine Shop the Morse Taper collets do not need a chuck, the go directly into the Morse taper and are held in with a draw bar. You can find them here. https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...=4314&category= I use mine as much as I do my collet chucks, I have extra for extra sizes of mandrels that stay on the mandrel ready to slap in the MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post

MT2 collets or accessories using MT2 spindles can be used in either head stock (turning or machining) or tail stock (drilling)

I can't stress enough the danger of using a MT2 collet body, Jacobs Chuck, or MT2 collet fitted directly into the head or tail stock MT2 without a drawbar. Certain spindle cuts, particularly RHS cove cuts & RHS pommel type cuts with a skew, will draw a MT2 taper out of the head stock spindle. The same goes for drilling operations in the tailstock with MT2 collets, MT2 Jacobs chucks etc when withdrawing the drill bit, particularly large forstner style bits. MT2 accessories when used without "tail stock support" MUST be used with a draw bar! This includes buffing wheels, sanding accessories as well. I know we get away with it all the time - but it is unsafe!
    I have a number of drive centers and arbors in MT2 and none of them are machined for a draw bar. If it was such a big deal, I would expect that provision to be a standard feature. Not that I disagree with you - the potential to come loose is certainly there. But it's not always an option with a given tool. I have had the taper break free on occasion, but it's a rarity.

Besides any issues with tightening the draw bar (reaching around the headstock), the use of a drawbar precludes inserting the materiel into the collet very far. While the spindle limits me to 3/8" I can insert dowels of any length through the headstock and grip them with the Apprentice collet chuckl which uses ER collets and screws onto the spindle. Works great for turning s-m-a-l-l turnings like doll house furniture,.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a number of drive centers and arbors in MT2 and none of them are machined for a draw bar. If it was such a big deal, I would expect that provision to be a standard feature. Not that I disagree with you - the potential to come loose is certainly there. But it's not always an option with a given tool. I have had the taper break free on occasion, but it's a rarity.
    The reason many MT2 drive centers are not machined for a drive bar is because these centers are typically used with tailstock support. The pressure from the tailstock prevents the MT2 drive center from coming loose. When a MT2 device, such as a Jacobs chuck, is used in the headstock without tailstock support, it is safer to use a draw bar.

Is this essential? I'll admit that I've been too lazy on occasions to use a draw bar when making the last finishing cut on a bottle stopper without tailstock support. I'm sure many others have done the same. While I've never had a serious mishap, that does NOT mean the practice is safe! Similarly, when using a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock to drill a blank, it's best to use a draw bar to keep the chuck mounted securely in the Morse taper. Using a draw bar is not necessary if you remember to hold the Jacobs chuck with your hand when retracting the drill from the blank.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona