Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total horsepower.

Total horsepower.

I just picked up a used cutoff saw that is going to require more juice than I was anticipating, which got me thinking about how many horsepower was in the shop in stationary equipment in total. Including power feeds, I think I'm up to about 145 total hp.

Just a random thought, what's your total?

You didn't pick up the saw at an auction in Warren Ohio today by any chance did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You didn't pick up the saw at an auction in Warren Ohio today by any chance did you?
    Negative. From a shop in Iowa.

Down to 77 since I sold my large tools before the move. Timesaver was 52 hp, not enough power here to run it, sold a bunch of other stuff that took up too much of my limited space. Will be adding a small one belt WB, but have to limit it to about 25 HP. As it is when I turn on my 50 hp converter my neighbors lights dim.

But...... My shop is on the edge of a huge preserve, 30 miles out my back door to the next house, no commercial expenses, can go for walks in my garden when I need a break. Yea, I'm digging the downsize!

I have too many tools/machines to even think of adding up.
    It really doesn't matter much since I never have them all running at the same time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Does my 64 HP (or whatever it says on the top) max developed 110V craftsman shop vac count? ;-)

59 HP here. It may go up soon - just got a bigger RPC.

Larry, your digs sound familiar. My 70 acres is surrounded by a 40,000 acre TNC preserve and a 30,000 acre state forest.

I must admit, at first I thought your number was a bit much. So, I started running through what I have currently hooked to power and in use- holy cow it adds up quick! I am around 225-230 on in use machines, but like Mike says, they are never all on at once.
    I do have probably another 150-175 hp of idle machinery, waiting for an on line machine to break, or a need to pop up.
    This is a very bad habit, I see now.

Let's see

2 X 4HP

1 X 2 HP

1 X 1.5HP

2 X .5HP

So that's 12.5 HP................Rod.

10 tools for 22.75

Only counting the 220v stuff:
    Bridgeport - 1.5
    Tablesaw -1
    Bandsaw - 3
    Dust Collector - 5
    Jointer - 1.5

12hp total :-/

Can I count the garage? :-P

195 - 200 HP on a 200A main panel

47 (combined) moulder
    32 sander
    15 rip saw
    15 (combined) shape/sand
    11 shaper+feeder
    10 jump saw
    10 jump saw
    8.5 shaper+feeder
    7.5 compressor
    7.5 planer
    5 jointer
    5 edge sand
    3 table saw
    3 miter saw
    2 bandsaw
    1.5 drill press
    1.5 downdraft table
    1 spindle sander
    1 drill press
    various routers and handheld power tools
    15 cyclone DC
    7.5 sander DC
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 09-01-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add actual equipment breakdown :)
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    195 - 200 HP on a 200A main panel
    No problem J.R. depending upon the voltage :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    No problem J.R. depending upon the voltage :-)
    Even on 480V, 200hp that's about 450 amps by my math. But, not everything is running at once, or starting at once obviously. I've got 400a for lighting and tools, plus another 200a for the boiler on 208V. My panels are full, and a lot of things doubled up. I'm still waiting to hear from the electrician what he recommends for my new shop.

Place I last worked had 140HP worth of dust collection....and probably 3X that in equipment. Molders, gang rips, big planers, up cuts. Place i'm at now I swaged at around 120HP total machinery. My home shop, I can start and run about 30-35HP at that same time, but I rarely have more than half that going, maybe table saw, shaper dust collector at once occasionally?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel