Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Routing A Radius On An Outside Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I'm using a 1/2" flush trim bit. The problem I ran into on all 4 corners was that the bit was cutting into the edge of the top past where the radius ended. It wasn't a lot but required getting a sander out and feathering in the depression.
    That sounds as if your flush trim bit and bearing are mismatched. Like the bearing is a little smaller diameter than the cutter. Or your router bit is not at a perfect 90 degrees to the template.

Quote Originally Posted by john bateman View Post
    That sounds as if your flush trim bit and bearing are mismatched. Like the bearing is a little smaller diameter than the cutter. Or your router bit is not at a perfect 90 degrees to the template.
    The bit was a brand new, never been used Freud bit. I guess it's possible that the router was tipped but unlikely that I did it to all 4 corners.

I still think John is correct Ken. If the bearing is on the template and the cutter is going deeper it must be a slightly larger diameter. (assuming the router isn't tipped, etc.). I guess the other possibilty is that the pins do not hold the template perfectly even with the edge. Since its easier to smooth something that is a tiny bit proud rather than take out a depression I would shim something. You could shim the pins, or the template or the bearing with a piece of electrical tape -- any of those would effectively move the cutter out. Of course if it is caused by a difference in the bearing and bit diameters the shims might well need to come off when you change to a different bit.
    Mark R

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I'm using a 1/2" flush trim bit. The problem I ran into on all 4 corners was that the bit was cutting into the edge of the top past where the radius ended. It wasn't a lot but required getting a sander out and feathering in the depression.
    This sounds like a couple of possibilities;
    - The corner of the material and the template do not match causing the bit's cutter to contact the material where it should not.
    - The flush bit is not truly flush (I've had this more often on bargain bits, never on a name brand).
    - The "top" surface and the "edge" are not truly perpendicular; the router and bit have no way to compensate for this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler