Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is going on in this youtube video?

What is going on in this youtube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-xf...8XgS0spiLRZptM

Does anyone recognize what table saw this is? Also those bee frames are 3/8 thick and looks like he has 3 blades. Anyone do this? Some saws have extended arbors you can purchase.
    Last edited by tom suica; 09-02-2015 at 1:37 AM.

Just some table saw, with a power feeder installed. Brand I dunno - I don't know the language on the screen, much less the equipment type.

It has a larger-capacity arbor than typical WW saws. You can do this on your TS to whatever arbor capacity you have. Just need spacers between the blades, that's all.

But - it is tiny for an industrial gang rip - they come 12" - 48", and would do the entire blank in one pass. At 10x the speed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It is not a saw. Its a shaper, with a power feed, I'm pretty sure.
    Paul

Paul, brudda......you think?

How is a shaper taking in a block of wood and slicing off pieces from the edge?

It has already been thru the shaper, now they are slicing it into strips...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Gotta be a TS. I set up my PM66 with 2 blades when I have to make a bunch of tenons. They do look like ultra thin blades from the exit kerf.

Blog Entries
    Yep, tablesaw with a feeder.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Paul, brudda......you think?

How is a shaper taking in a block of wood and slicing off pieces from the edge?

It has already been thru the shaper, now they are slicing it into strips...........
    Perhaps i didnt watch enough of the video or it was late, or I am a dummy. It sure looks like a shaper to me. But I'm mostly a Neander now (hopefully no one will take offense at that phrase) so what the heck do I know.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 09-02-2015 at 1:35 PM.
    Paul

Looks like an older SCMI table saw with the slider table, worked in a shop that had one of those "pre-format" machines going back to the mid 1970's. Might be why Paul saw a shaped in his mind, but I'm pretty sure given the output the cut is coming from below. Must be real skinny blades, he old SCMI I used had a heck of an arbor and could probably have stacked that may super thin blades. Interesting idea there , I watched a few of the series of videos, can't ignore out what they are making?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

It actually appears to be an old SCMI combo machine - at 1:49 you can see the jointer tables flipped up on the left. It also looks to have the slider outrigger mounted right next to the power feeder - the power feeder looks to be mounted at the end of the main shaper table.

No idea what hes making.

He's making the ends for frames that go in a beehive - a whole lot of them!

Wow! That brings back memories. Right after I got married, I was poor and looking for a way to make extra money. The only stationary equipment I had was a table saw, a router and a 4 inch jointer. I used to scrounge 2 by cutoffs from house building sites and make frames. I salvaged 1 X 8 and 1 X 10 material from shipping crates used for shipping artillery rounds to an Army Depot. I built brood chambers and supers with these. I bought the salvage lumber for $6 per pickup load. The process was very slow just slicing one frame end at a time and machining the complex shaped top bars. I wholesaled a bunch of bee hives to a local supplier and I sold quite a few directly. I also built up my apiary from 3 hives to 30.

By the way, the frame sides this guy is making aren't common in the US. He is ripping off pieces from a rectangular block. US made frames are something of a "Y" shape rather than rectangular.

Looks like a gang saw.
    Or a multi-bladed table saw.

The thread title is Serbo/Croatian and says "sawing side moldings" but I see Tom also speaks the language assuming he is the same one who posted a question in the video thread.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-02-2015 at 7:57 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I ran it through a translator I do not speak their language. I think it is a table saw also. There are 30mm arbor extensions out there for some saws. I think its up to 30mm dado stack plus a fat nut. can anyone speak about an arbor extension on any saw?
    Last edited by tom suica; 09-02-2015 at 9:56 PM.

My wife is from Serbia. She said it was more Croatian.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.